Virginia Reckless Driving--speeding 77/55. Options Likelihood…

Customer Question
I have a citation in...
I have a citation in VA--Reckless Driving by speeding 77/55. Options? Likelihood of lessened/reduced sentence? I have a speeding ticket in 2007. Non-moving violation of seat-belt and HOV this year.

My home was broken into and I was speeding to meet a detective at my home. I have his card, signature, and proof of the meeting time.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/29/2010
Lawyer: Sam, Attorney at Law replied 8 years ago
Sam, Attorney at Law

hi

reckless driving is a Class 1 misdemeanor -penalties include up to one year in jail, and/or up to $2,500 in fines, the possibility of a suspension of driving privileges for up to 6 months and 6 points against your license.

it is possible to negotiate for the fine, and lesser points. and if you need you license for employment then that can also be reduced with a "hardship" license to drive to and from employment only.

the fact that your home was broken into could help, if it was something that you were just notified of and not something that happened say a month ago and you were scheduled to meet the detective

unfortunately, there is no way to get it reduced to a simple speeding ticket as the law does not permit that. but to get the best results in court, i suggest you have a local attorney represent you

Sam, Attorney at Law
I will be retaining a local attorney and have arranged a consultation tomorrow. I wanted to get your opinion in advance of this aforementioned meeting.

The meeting with the detective was regarding a past but recent burglary to my home.

Short version: I am screwed

hi

i dont think you are screwed totally. i believe you can get the points reduced, suspension reduced and a fine. but it would have helped if you were in an emergency situation