Trying to find out if I have a small claims case. I met this…

Customer Question
Trying to find out if...
Trying to find out if I have a small claims case. I met this woman and we hit it off and I moved into her condo which she leases. I lived there for over three months and we even talked about marriage. She even went so far as to tell everyone we were getting married. She told me she loved me and that I wasn't going anywhere. I did some renovations for her because they were things she liked done, and since I thought we were getting married we would live out our lives there. Then one day out of the blue she calls me while I'm working and said she wanted me to move out. It really floored me. She said she was going to put my posessions out in the yard and that I could not come there. She also said she had called the law. I called and spoke to a magistrate and was told she could not do these things. I have spent over $1,500.00 not including my own labor and paid someone else to help me at times. I also paid some of her medical bills. Do I has a case? Is there a chance I can get some of my money back. I feel I have been alienated and used for her needs. Please advise.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/29/2010
Lawyer: AttorneyTom, Attorney replied 8 years ago
AttorneyTom
AttorneyTom, Attorney

­Please click Accept so that I will receive credit for my time and effort spent responding to your question.

Thank you for your question.

When an individual performs work for another person and isn't compensated, if there's no contract, the individual may still have a basis to claim unjust enrichment. In this way, unjust enrichment claims can allow an individual to recover when one party has benefited at his expense.

That said, a party cannot typically recover for gifts. Therefore, if an individual gratuitously pays a bill for another party, recovery may be barred if the payment is found to be a gift (as opposed to a loan).

Further, a landlord or roommate may not typically forcefully evict a tenant without the processes required by law. Doing so can expose the landlord or roommate to liability.

Accordingly, you'll want to take the matter to a local attorney, as you may have a basis for legal action. Your attorney can help you evaluate the value, if any, of your claim. Your attorney can also help you develop your case and negotiate a settlement if appropriate.

While I can control the quality of an answer, my control over the content of an answer is restrained by the truth. Please do not shoot the messenger.

Please remember to click Accept and leave Positive Feedback so that I will receive credit for my time and effort spent responding to your question. Bonuses are always greatly appreciated. Clicking accept does not close the question and you are still welcome to ask follow-up questions if you need clarification.

Sincerely,

T-USA

_____________________________________

Disclaimer: By engaging in this correspondence, you agree to and understand the following:
No attorney-client relationship is formed through this correspondence. The following information is provided for educational purposes only and is not legal advice/legal services. Correspondence through JustAnswer is visible to the public and is not confidential. T-USA is not familiar with your situation and could not possibly provide legal advice/legal services through JustAnswer. T-USA does not claim to be licensed to practice law in your state. The information provided in this correspondence cannot and should not be relied on for legal purposes.
If you need legal advice/services you should visit a local attorney as soon as possible. You can find a local attorney at Lawyers.com, Martindale, a Local Lawyer Referral Service, or a Local Legal Clinic (if you cannot afford an attorney).

Edited by T-USA on 6/29/2010 at 5:32 PM EST