I live in Nashville, TN. I was convicted for drug possesion…

Customer Question
I live in Nashville, TN...
I live in Nashville, TN. I was convicted for drug possesion in August, 2006. I pleaded guilty to this felony charge so I could get an early release. Now 4 years later, I find myself in a position where if I could get this felony expunged from my record, I will recieve a job promotion. After contacting the Criminal Clerk's Office, Ive found out that I am not eligible for expungement because I pleaded guilty to the charge. Not at this time or never in my life. I was not notified at the time of my arrest that if I pleaded guilty to that charge that never in my life would I be able to get the felony expunged from my record. Is this legal? Also, is their another option for me such as having counsel seek and contact the judge who handled the case, possibly have him retire the charge. Changing the depositon from guilty to retired. If so would that make my case eligible for expungement?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/29/2010
Lawyer: Justice4U, Attorney replied 8 years ago
Justice4U
Justice4U, Attorney
Unfortunately, with a guilty plea in a felony matter you will not be eligible to expunge your records in Tennessee. This is legal as there is no right to expunge or seal criminal records. You will not be able to change that plea or otherwise alter your conviction in a way that would allow for an expungement. See additional information regarding the subject at:

http://research.lawyers.com/Tennessee/Tennessee-Expungement-and-Record-Sealing.html

Thank you

Please click on the ACCEPT button for my answer so that I receive credit for assisting you. You may continue to ask follow-up questions after accepting. If the information is helpful, I would very much appreciate positive feedback. Bonuses are also appreciated. The responses do not create an attorney-client relationship and are informational only.
Justice4U
Justice4U, Attorney

In Tenneessee, am I eligible to have my record sealed?

The terms are interchangeable in Tennessee. There are no separate sealed records laws in Tennessee so if you cannot expunge there is no sealing of the records. You may consider requesting a pardon from the governor. You can learn about the process and file the required form at:

http://www.tn.gov/bopp/bopp_bo_contents.htm?#ExecutiveClemency

Thank you