what is the age for staying away from home for long periods…

Customer Question
what is the age for...
what is the age for staying away from home for long periods of time due to abusive atmosphere and i am a legal parent living in ct
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/29/2010
Lawyer: Amber E., Attorney replied 8 years ago
Amber E.
Amber E., Attorney
A few questions, please answer:

Is there a custody order in place?

Is the child the one being abused?

Have the authorities been notified?

Has CPS been notified?

yes his mother but she is in a walker due to a break down . 2 some what he doesnt want to be home. 3no i dont want them involved 4 no

If you want the child to live with you now due to the mother's break down and deterioration in her condition and/or the child's environment, and the child has the age and maturity to express a preference, then you may want to consider filing a "motion to modify" custody. Otherwise, if you were to take and/or keep the child in violation of a court order, you could be held in contempt of court. There is no age at which the child can make a decision on his/her own, but the court will consider the child's preference along with other factors.

no im not taking him his friends mother needs to know because she doesnt want to get in trouble

The friend's mother needs to discuss it with the parent who has custody and get her consent. If the custodial parent consents, then the friend's mother won't get in trouble. However, the friend's mother can get into trouble if the custodial parent does not consent and decides to call the authorities. The child can't leave without the custodial parent's consent.

So, again, if the non-custodial parent wants to remove the child from the home, even if he wants to let the child live with a friend, then he needs to file something.
file what and with who
A "motion to modify" custody with the court that issued the order awarding custody.
see i only need him to get thru the next two months till college after that he wont be near home
Doesn't change the fact that the risk is still there that she will report it to the authorities.

Without a court order giving you authority to decide where the child lives, you are at risk for being in contempt of court. If you are willing to accept that risk and the friend's parent is willing to accept the risk that she could get in trouble as well, then so be it. Just understand, the risk is still there until a judge says otherwise (or until the mother consents).