A friend who was visiting at my grandsons house, stole his…

Customer Question
A friend who was visiting...
A friend who was visiting at my grandson's house, stole his car from his
driveway while he was sleeping. This boy does not have a license and crashed
it into a tree. He totaled the car. It was reported to the police and my daughter
had to pay to get it out of the inpound lot. No one will tell her what to do to
get paid for the car. The boys mother said she doesn't have any money and
only liability insurance for herself. There are other boys who witnessed this
and said they saw the boy steel the car.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/29/2010
Lawyer: NateLawAnswers, Attorney replied 8 years ago
NateLawAnswers
NateLawAnswers, Attorney
Thank you for your question.

How old is the boy who stole the car?

Let me know and I will get right back with you!

Nathan Moore

I think he is 15 or 16. I can call my dauther later and get his exact age. He didn't

even have a permit. His mother says she does not have any money to pay for

our grandson's car.

Okay - the important info is just that he is not of adult age. Is your grandson's car insured?
My grandson is insured and on his mother's Insurance policy.

Have you got any information for my questions yet?

I am sorry it has taken so long to respond.

If he is insured, the insurance company will compensate them. The insurance company will then sue to recover whatever amounts they paid to your daughter and grandson. Essentially, they need to do nothing more than file a claim.

Thanks!
Nathan Moore

The car is insured only for liabiity and my daughters insurance said they do not

cover for the accident. No one will pay at this point. The boy has a hearing in

August, but in the mean time, my daughter and grandson had to pay for the

impound over $200. It sounds like until something is solved in court, my daughter

and grandson have to figure out a way to get another car for him.

Thanks for any more answers. I know this is an unusual case, but we were hoping

to get some help.

Right. Okay, you will have to wait on the court process. Is it a criminal hearing in August? If it is, be sure to stay involved so that you can get restitution through the criminal prosecution. That will save time and out-of-pocket expense over suing in civil court.

Yes, He stole the car and hit and run. What should my daughter and grandson do

to stay involved until then. She tried talking to the boys mother and she told her to

not call her anymore. That that was harrassment even though my daughter was

just trying to talk to her calmly about the car accident and her insurance.

What should she be doing now to stay involved?