Im in an ugly custody fight. The ad litem ruled in my favor,

Customer Question
I'm in an ugly custody...
I'm in an ugly custody fight. The ad litem ruled in my favor, following the 1st ad litem's recommendation from 4 years ago. On the night before the last day in court, he switched his recommendation. Less than a month later the ad litem committed suicide.
Can I argue that the ad litem was not of sound mind in suddenly switching his recommendation? If so, what are the odds of this being successful?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/29/2010
Lawyer: socrateaser, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
socrateaser, Lawyer

I think that the circumsantial evidence surrounding the ad litem strongly suggests that his or her reports to the court are untrustworthy. It is fundamental to evidence law, that a witness must be competent to testify. It is similarly fundamental that the witness be available for cross examination -- otherwise the testimony is inadmissible hearsay.

Were I in your atorney's position, I would file a "motion in limine" and request that all of the ad litem's reports and testimony be excluded and that a new ad litem be appointed.

Obviously, this is an expensive and time-consuming option, but the facts do not support that the ad litem's mental state was such that he or she could have competently testified for or against either parent.

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: If you are on a subscription plan, your clicking Accept does not generate any additional charges to your user account. It only indicates your satisfaction with my answer.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.