I have been in foreclosure in my condo for one year and will…

I have been in foreclosure...
I have been in foreclosure in my condo for one year and will be out in one month. This is not a bankruptcy case. My question is I have been served a subpoena by the condo assoc. attorneys to show up in their office on Thursday to show my W-2's, bank statements, etc... I live in Michigan and was told that the bank will eventually pick up the remaining balance for condo dues. What are the ramifications if I do not show up after being served a subpoena? Is this just a scare tactic to get me to pay? I was just served yesterday, ( Monday) and the meeting is scheduled for this Thursday. I just want to know what my legal rights are.

Thank You, Jennifer
6/29/2010
Maverick
Maverick, Attorney

Normally, you are responsible for the dues up until the date when the name of the owner changes on the title. It appears that you have been sued by the condo assoc. for past dues that have accrued and remain unpaid. If you have a legitimate basis for not showing up, you need to file for a protective order right way. Otherwise, failure to comply with a subpoena could subject you to fines and contempt of court or some other from of sanctions in your lawsuit.

Where you served with a subpoena duces tecum?

Also, normally they are not allowed to see whether you have the ability to pay until after they establish liability. Have they done that?

Please click "Accept" so that I can get credit for this answer. We can continue our conversation after that at no additional charge. Thank you.

This information is provided so you may better discuss legal issues with your attorney. Consult a local attorney for legal advice before acting. You may be able to find an attorney in your area to further assist you at http://www.martindale.com/ or at http://www.lawyers.com/ .

Maverick
Maverick, Attorney
That's the same as a duces tecum. So basically they are asking you to show up with the requested documents. It would be best for you to go if you do not have the money for a lawyer.