Hi, my exboyfriend left me a threatening voicemail a while…

Customer Question
Hi, my exboyfriend left me...
Hi, my exboyfriend left me a threatening voicemail a while ago and I called the police. I currently have an order of protection against him. A while ago, we decided to have mutual contact. Phone calls/texts back and forth and I even have another police report with my name and his name on it while the order of protection is in effect. The reason I was talking to him still is because of depression. I felt like I could not live without him. I even spoke to a psychologist. I want this relationship done because I know he is not good for me. I want him arrested. If I tell the police about this and the mutual contact, will I get in trouble? What if he blames it on me? His court date is today but I want to go to the police and report it before he goes to court. He also does drugs, will I be able to tip the police and get him in trouble? I really want him arrested for all the pain and suffering he caused me.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/29/2010
Lawyer: Brandon M., Counselor at Law replied 8 years ago
Brandon M.
Brandon M., Counselor at Law
Hello there:

as long as you are not specifically under order to not be in contact with him, you have violated no law by having mutual contact. But to be frank, the District Attorney is not especially likely to pursue criminal prosecution as long as the meeting was consensual and no violence precipitated from it. In short, you can report it, but there is a good chance that nothing will become of it because it was consensual and no one got hurt.

If you really want to put the guy away, there is no harm to the victim in reporting the contact (again, this assumes that the victim has not been specifically ordered to keep away as well) and certainly no harm in reporting his drug activity. The police will be able to take action if they can find enough evidence against him.

Let me know if I may be of further assistance. Thank you.
<br />If you really want to put the guy away, there is no harm to the victim in reporting the contact (again, this assumes that the victim has not been specifically ordered to keep away as well)<br /><br />what do you mean by this?<br /><br />what if he threatened me while i was with him but I do not have any evidence to hold against him? It will kind of sound ridiculous to the police if i still stayed with him and he threatened me. I'd sound like a liar. I really want this guy in jail and the only reason why i stayed was because i've been so used to living with him and i feel like i need him.
Hi again:

I meant that you have nothing to lose (except your time) by making the report to the police, so why not make the report if you are serious about having him prosecuted?

It will not sound ridiculous to say that you stayed with him when he threatened you; if you did it, there is a logical explanation--just give them the logical explanation. Please do not take offense by this, but I would suggest that perhaps you are codependent and that codependency explains your decision making in this case.

My feeling is that you should make the report and let the police decide whether or not there is enough evidence to move forward. Again, I have to ask what you have to lose in this case. Do what you need to do to protect yourself.
would it matter if i report it and it happened for a while? or do they see it as old news and just dont care about it? i'm not sur eif you know what i mean. lets say i had the order of protection for 2 months and i report it after 2 months.. will they still take it? or what will they do?
2 months after the fact is immaterial. They will still investigate. :)