I need to know what I can do when the people who are harassing…

I need to know what...
I need to know what I can do when the people who are harassing me over the internet are family members. For the past year my sisters and now my brother have been sending me, my husband and children threatening emails and posting threats and slanderous statements and acusations on our family website as well as all of our facebook accounts and myspace accounts. I have blocked all of them that were involved (my sibs) from all of my accounts. However, I still had my nieces on since neither of them had been involved in any of this. Evidently my oldest sister has been accessing my profiles through them because she is taking status posts and using them to harass me. I posted my status on myspace as .."who knew that the family I grew up with would so easily withdraw their love...?" the following is what she posted on the family website, so that anyone who has no access to my facebook page could see it.

response, "WHO KNEW THE DAUGHTER RAISED BY A LOVING MOTHER WOULD SO SWIFTLY AND COMPLETELY WITHDRAW THAT MOTHERS FUNDS AND SAVINGS, AND CONSPIRE WITH THE GRANDDAUGHTER TO EFFECTIVELY WIPE HER OUT FINANCIALLY?!"

In June of 2007 I had had a ruptured disc in my Lumbar Spinal to fuse the last disc in my lumbar spine to the first disc in my tail bone. However, the rupture caused a spinal cord injury called Cauda equina syndrome (CES) which is a serious neurologic condition in which there is acute loss of function of the lumbar plexus, neurologic elements (nerve roots) of the spinal canal below the termination (conus) of the spinal cord. In August 2007 my sister who had been living with and caring for our blind mother since our fathers death in February 2007, called me and requested that I come to Colorado and care for our mother because she just couldn't stay there with her any longer since she just was not getting along with her. Although I was still recovering from the surgery in August 2007 I went to Colorado to care for her. In June of 2009 I could no longer stay due to my health. I was also having family problems and was a little home sick. I told my siblings that I needed to return to Texas, and that is when this harassment started. Although they would take brakes for a little while, after a week or two of nothing they would start again. On June 24th my sisters sent text messages to my daughter with birthday wishes. One was a dancing duck or bird that sang "I'm going to kick someones A*&". Another wished her a happy birthday, and then proceded to say "I hope my mother is able to enjoy her birthday on the 30th. Don't call her, okay".

I know this all seems very childish and stupid, but because my health is not what it should be, I had neck surgery on April 28 due to the same issue as my lumbar, I am expecting to have another surgery on my lumbar spine in the next year. I have high blood presure, type 2 diabetes, fibromyalgia and Rhumatoid Arthritis. I have been on medication for chronic pain for 4 or 5 years, I also have had to start taking medication for nerve pain and depression. I do not take my medication inappropriately although I did mix my meds for night with my meds for morning one time and fell asleep at my mothers counter and fell on the floor, at the time I was taking a few more medications for postop pain then I currently take. She has accused me of theft or embezelment, forgery and "conspiring with the granddaughter (that would be my daughter) to effectively wipe her out financially" She keeps saying she has all this proof and now that she has found out other disturbing things I am suposed to have done while there. Of running my mother credit cards up all the way even though we (mother and I) found out that someone else got her credit card numbers from our paypal account. My mother will be 79 on Wednesday, and like her father has been having problems remembering things, and is easily influenced, which is what I believe to be happening now. I believe that my siblings are keeping me from any contact with my mother at all, they will not allow me to speak to her on the phone. When I call and get the answering machine they intercept the messages.

I know this is a very long message, but I really need to know what I can do to make them stop this campaign against me. I had spoken to my mother just before I went in to have the surgery on my neck, and told her then that any money I owe her, I would repay to her. I have never said I didn't borrow any money from her, with her approval. However, my siblings are trying now to say that I took all her money without her knowledge. How can I get them to stop emailing and contacting or checking up on me on the internet?
6/29/2010
LawHelpNow
LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer

Hello and thanks for choosing Just Answer®. I am a licensed attorney, and I will be glad to try and assist you. To provide you with accurate information, could you please clarify this point:

1. What is your jurisdiction (state)? (I see mention of Texas and Colorado.)

Once I hear back from you, I will be glad to let you know my answer. There may be some delay as I am assisting other customers or am away from my computer. Please rest assured, however, that I will get back to you as soon as possible.

Thanks!

I am in Bastrop County in Texas. My mother lives in Fremont County in Colorado.

Hello and thanks so much for choosing this forum to pose your important legal question. I will do my best to give you some honest and accurate guidance as I answer your question.

1. I am a licensed attorney with criminal law experience. I will be glad to try and answer your question. I hope that the following information will be helpful to you, but please just write back if you have any follow-up questions or need clarification on anything after reviewing the following information. Thank you for taking the time to write back and supply the additional information as requested, which was helpful to my analysis of your inquiry.
  2. "How can I get them to stop emailing and contacting or checking up on me on the internet?" Texas Penal Code § 33.07 addresses online stalking. This is a recent provision just effective last Fall. I would suggest you print out any evidence you have and take it to your local law enforcement authorities (police department). Under the law, they are the folks charged with the jurisdiction to investigate and prosecute.
  3. I hope that makes sense, but please do not hesitate to write back if needed. I shall be signing off soon to attend to some other professional obligations. Please rest assured, however, that I will be sure to check for any updated posts from you when I return to this online forum.

I hope that this information has been helpful to you. If we can be of any further assistance please free to use our service again. Best wishes for a successful outcome.

If my answer has been helpful to you, please click "ACCEPT" so that I may be paid. This is the only way that I will receive compensation for the work performed. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done. Clicking "FEEDBACK" to leave your positive comments is always greatly appreciated.

The information provided is general in nature only and should not be construed as legal advice. By using this forum, you acknowledge that no attorney-client relationship has been created between you and Benjamin M. Burt, Jr., Esq. You should always consult with a lawyer in your state.

I see that you listed Texas Penal code 33.07, this would be the code used even though the person who is harrassing me daily is in Canon City Colorado? One of these people is married to a Colorado Springs Police Officer and has been advising them of many many things, that are evidently incorect. I would also like to see her and her husband punished for their part in this harrassment. What can I do/?

Hello again,

Thanks for writing back -- good to hear from you.

I will be glad to comment further. I do ask that you kindly press "Accept" to process my answer.

As a victim with a Texas residence, I would start with your local law enforcement authorities. Prosecution could also be brought about through joint cooperation with the other state pursuant to Colorado Revised Statutes § 18-9-111. Whatever approach is taken falls to the discretion of law enforcement. Your only obligation at this juncture is to make a report to start the investigatory process.

I hope that is of some additional help and that things work out well for you in this matter.

Take care and thanks again for choosing JustAnswer®!

[Please click "Accept" -- this is the only way I get paid for my work and services provided.]

LawHelpNow
LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX exactly what I was afraid you would say. These are my sisters and my brother so as you can tell this is a difficult thing for me to do. However, the other day my oldest sister sent out an email to us and the rest of the family and in it she said that I had moved to Colorado in 2007 to rob my blind mother and try to kill her. Is this or is it not a Libelous statement? I plan to send them your answer so please be very exact on whether this fits the defenition of Libel and what the punishment would be if they were to be found guilty.