I missed my deadline to enroll in DUI Classes. I now have…

Customer Question
I missed my deadline to...
I missed my deadline to enroll in DUI Classes. I now have a bench warrant, with a $5000 bail, issued on my name. I tried to call and enroll in the classes, but since I have missed the deadline they say I must get a re-referral.
I know I need to go to court...what is going to happen? Will I be arrested because of the warrant? Are they going to expect me to pay the $5000. Because I have technically violated probation, will I have to serve jail time?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/29/2010
Lawyer: Andrea, Esq., Attorney replied 8 years ago
Andrea, Esq.
Andrea, Esq., Attorney

The Bench Warrant will get you arrested, if you do not turn yourself in, so that is the first thing to do, but not before calling first and also arranging for a bail bond, just in case you have to put up bail. You will then go to Court and explain to the Judge your very good reason for faling to sign up for the classes. You should also notify your Probation Officer about your situation, if they have assigned one to you.

____________________________________________

Your question will not close and when you press "ACCEPT" you may ask follow up questions, if you want

That is the only way I get paid

Positive Feedback, BONUS are not required, but are greatly appreciated

If you have questions in the future, feel free to ask for me by typing your name at the beginning of your question

____________________________________________________

Please press "ACCEPT" so that I may receive credit for assisting you

That is the only way I get paid

Kindest Regards,

ANDREA, JD, LLM

MEMBER, NY & PA BAR

Don't forget to leave positive feedback!

Andrea, Esq.
Andrea, Esq., Attorney

So the bench warrant they sent me in the mail stated I need to appear in court at 830am, Monday -Friday. I have arranged to get this Friday off...should I plan on being arrested when I go in to appear? I don't have even 10% of a $5000 bail.

Also, I was not assigned a probation officer, so I can't contact them. Is it likely the judge will sentence jail time for violating probation? My very good reason is that I can't afford to live, make payments on the fine, and pay for DUI classes...I have a feeling the judge is not going care...correct?

Thank you for accepting my Answer, I greatly appreciate it.

The Judge is willing to listen to reason, however, a Bench Warrant does call for someone's arrest, but it is up to the Judge. That is why I stated that you should see a Bailbondsman before you go to Court, so that everything is in place. Bring all you paystubs for the last 2 or 3 months to prove to the Judge that this is the only reason that you have not signed up for DUI classes. Once the Judge sees your paystubs, he will understand that you are telling the truth and he may postpone the DUI classes for a couple of months until you can get on your feet. Judges appreciate it when they see that a defendant is trying very hard and they do not seek to punish such defendants. You might also0 want to consider going to the Public Defender's Office to see if you qualify for their representation. Show your pay stubs to the Public Defender's Office, fill out their application and they will let you know. Do not lose hope, everything will be fine, I promise you that !!!

Don't forget to leave Positive Feedback !!!

Kindest Regards,

ANDREA, JD, LLM

MEMBER, NY & PA BAR