I was an indepenent sales rep working for a group in penn.

Customer Question
I had a contract with...
I was an indepenent sales rep working for a group in penn. I had a contract with them when they let me go I filed for unemployment in new york since that was where my territory was. I was refused at first but I answered a two page nys form and they granted me my benifits. I just received a notice to appear at a hearing because the group I worked for is appealing the states decession. Do I have a right to collect if I was not free to get my own lines and I did sign a contract with that group.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/29/2010
Lawyer: Richard - Bizlaw, Attorney replied 8 years ago
Richard - Bizlaw

The issue is whether you were an independent contractor or really a commission sales person. This will depend on how much of your activities did they control and direct. The fact that you could not take on other business is a critical fact. If you reported to someone at the company, had to go to meetings as they directed, etc., then you look more like an employee rather than an independent contractor. They will argue that you were an independent contractor.

If this answer is responsive to your question, please accept it. That is how we are compensated. I would also be appreciated if you provided feed back on your view of the answer. Finally, if the answer was especially helpful you can provide a bonus. If I can be of further assistance or you have other questions in the future you can ask for me and reach me at this site.

This communication is not intended as legal advice. A local attorney should always be consulted for legal advice. No client/attorney relationship is intended or created by this communication.