Our children rented a town home on a 12 month lease and with…

Customer Question
Our children rented a town...
Our children rented a town home on a 12 month lease and with a security deposit. The people who are renting out the town home have never rented property before. When our children went to take position of the town home the smell of cat urine was overwhelming. The landlords said they would have the carpets cleaned and have professional cleaners clean the place. Someone shampooed the carpets, but the neighbors daughter did some minor cleaning. The place still smells, but not as bad as it did. Our son is allergic to cats and there is still enough of an odor that he has trouble breathing. They still want to rent the place, but the carpeting needs to be replaced and the walls need to be painted to kill the odor. Do our children have any rights in this case.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/29/2010
Lawyer: Kim Courtney,
 replied 8 years ago
Kim Courtney
Hello.

Unfortunately, in this situation, they don't have the right to demand that the carpets be replaced. First, they had the opportunity to see the town home, and could have included it in the lease if it was that important. Lastly, it is not something that is considered to be material to the lease agreement. They can certainly demand it in writing and see what happens, but in court they wouldn't get very far.

Kimberly
They have not moved into the town home but did get the keys from the landlord. Is there anyway to get their security deposit back, since our son cannot move in to the unit?
Lawyer: Kim Courtney,
 replied 8 years ago
No, sorry. This is a legal contract. If they could just walk away then it wouldn't have any validity. They have to try to work this out with the landlord. But they should be pleasant about it to encourage him to work with them.
The landlord has already refused to return the security deposit. Could our children have the place professionally cleaned and deduct it from their rent? I'm looking for some way to make this place habitable. By the way, the landlord never gave them a signed copy of the lease.
I've sent you another question. Have you received it? The question was: The landlord has already refused to return the security deposit. Could our children have the place professionally cleaned and deduct it from their rent? I'm looking for some way to make this place habitable. By the way, the landlord never gave them a signed copy of the lease.
Relist: I've sent you another question. Have you received it? The question was: The landlord has already refused to return the security deposit. Could our children have the place professionally cleaned and deduct it from their rent? I'm looking for some way to make this place habitable. By the way, the landlord never gave them a signed copy of the lease..
Lawyer: Kim Courtney,
 replied 8 years ago
Sorry, for some reason they didn't send me your replies.

No, I don't think you can just clean the rug and deduct it from the rent. He was aware the rug was this way before renting and didn't include it in the lease agreement to be fixed, so if he fixes it will have to pay for it if the landlord won't pay.

It is standard for it to take a month or two to get the signed copy of the lease.

The best thing you can do is fix the rug yourself.

Kimberly
I'm sorry. I thought I had already do this.

Gary
Lawyer: Kim Courtney,
 replied 8 years ago
I have spent a lot of time with you. I hope you were happy with our discussion. Please let me know if you had any other follow up questions, otherwise you are welcome to hit accept to give me credit for my time with you.
Thank you for your help. By the way, I meant to say done not do. Oh, well.
Lawyer: Kim Courtney,
 replied 8 years ago
Don't forget to click accept.

Thanks.