I have an energy consulting/brokerage company. We work with…

Customer Question
I have an energy consulting/brokerage...
I have an energy consulting/brokerage company. We work with Large commercial companies and multiple alternative suppliers in several states. We pair our clients with the best alternative supplier given their situation. We are paid a commission directly from our suppliers that we are partnered with for each contract that closes. Is there any legal way to give a portion of what we're paid from the supplier back to the companies without it being considered an illegal kickback? I know this may seem totally ridiculous and obvious. I'm looking for legal alternatives to accomplish this and not break any laws but maybe skate around them. Example: creating "marketing agreements" with a totally separate company that they establish or maybe 1099 them as an Independant Sales Organization. I realize this is happening all over the place already and am just looking for some insight and possible suggestions.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/29/2010
Lawyer: Andrea, Esq., Attorney replied 8 years ago
Andrea, Esq.
Andrea, Esq., Attorney

You can make any circuitous arrangements you can think of, but when you draw a line from your organization through all the maze, it will end up with them. It is a kickback anyway you look at it or any way you trace it. I understand that every other company is doing it and it is a way of doing business, however, it is only a matter of time until every one of them comes tumbling down because of the kickbacks. Government agencies no longer employ the ignorant people they use to. Today, they are quite sophisticated, slow, but sophisticated. That is why I say it is only a matter of time.

I would like nothing better than to give you a legal way this can be done, but I do not have one because any way I looki at it and from any angle, these transactions are kickbacks, so please do not hold that against me.

____________________________________________________

Your question will not close and when you press "ACCEPT" you may ask follow up questions, if you want

That is the only way I get paid

Positive Feedback, BONUS are not required, but are greatly appreciated

If you have questions in the future, feel free to ask for me by typing your name at the beginning of your question

Please press "ACCEPT" so that I may receive credit for assisting you

That is the only way I get paid

Kindest Regards,

ANDREA, JD, LLM

MEMBER, NY & PA BAR

Don't forget to leave positive feedback!

In this situation where the client knows full well of the situation and you are actually able to provide them with further savings on their energy costs then who is being hurt from this transaction? or who is it out to protect? Essentially what is wrong with it? Example: I understand when its a situation where you are pushing a client into dealing with lets say a title company and they are unaware of you being paid on the side to do that. In the case I present the customer is not being hurt in any way and is fully aware of everything. Where is the conflict of interest?