In the state of Michigan what is the law for making a threat…

Customer Question
In the state of Michigan...
In the state of Michigan what is the law for making a threat to another person. The threat was " Leave my mother alone or the next time I see you will be on the end of a .38"
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/28/2010
Lawyer: Maverick, Attorney replied 8 years ago
Maverick
Maverick, Attorney

The legal definition of assault is "The threat or use of force on another that causes that person to have a reasonable apprehension of imminent harmful or offensive contact; the act of putting another person in reasonable fear or apprehension of an immediate battery by means of an act amounting to an attempt or threat to commit a battery.

A battery requires the showing of a harmful or offensive touching. So battery is not applicable in your case based on what you have stated.

Whether you have a cause of action for assault will depend on whether a reasonable person would infer imminent harm from that statement. You can see that if he was actually waiving a gun around, it might be more within line of the definition of battery.

http://courts.michigan.gov/mcji/intentional-torts/intentional-torts-Ch115.htm

MICH law on the subject is at the link above.

Please click "Accept" so that I can get credit for this answer. We can continue our conversation after that at no additional charge. Thank you.

This information is provided so you may better discuss legal issues with your attorney. Consult a local attorney for legal advice before acting. You may be able to find an attorney in your area to further assist you at http://www.martindale.com/ or at http://www.lawyers.com/ .