My apt manager is harassing me for requiring a fireplace repair…

Customer Question
My apt manager is harassing...
My apt manager is harassing me for requiring a fireplace repair (fumes backing into apt from another apt); they run a fan in their apt which drones for hours in my apt. They don't hear it so it's only driving me crazy. the owner asked them to not run it during certain hours. The fan is to clear moisture fromt the apt air; they didn't run it, at my request, for the first year i lived there, but only started after i filed the repair request.. they persist in running it anyway. is there any recourse?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/28/2010
Lawyer: Sam, Attorney at Law replied 8 years ago
Sam, Attorney at Law

hi

are you getting sick from the fumes or is there damage to personal property because of it?

Edited by Sam on 6/28/2010 at 9:43 PM EST

Hi Sam,

I was sick with respiratory from the fumes. But after the manager hung up and me and refused to talk to me about the problem, i wrote a letter to them, after which they fixed the problem. It was that entire episode which seems to have enraged them to the point where they are running this fan because they know it bothers me. I don't know if it cost them money from a manager bonus or what. It's just bizarre to me that asking for an apt repair that i didn't even cause would evoke such a response. They also make a lot of loud noises, banging, etc. The manager now gets up at 4a.m. to shower, which of course, wakes me up

hi

well, you can't do anything about the noise from the adjoining apartment unless it is after 11 pm

however, if you are getting ill from the fumes, then you need to write them a letter and tell them that if it is not repaired, you are prepared to sue them for the expense of your ills directly due to the fumes from their malfunctioning fan

send this letter certified with a return receipt requested. maybe the threat of a lawsuit will help

Shouldn't there be some remedy for the noise, though, since the lease agreement states that neighbors are not to make noise and do things that bother their neighbors?

hi

sorry but the answer is no unless it is beyond the hour that the law prohibits disturbing behaviors or noise - and it would not pertain to showering - more like loud music or rowdy behaviors

It would be helpful to have some ordinances, renter law, etc, referenced in your answer. would that be possible?

hi

i will opt out and allow another expert to do that research for you.

good luck