Im in the military and work for a government agency. I witnessed…

Customer Question
I'm in the military and...
I'm in the military and work for a government agency. I witnessed cockroaches in the cafeteria, and sent an email to friends and told them to foward it to people they know to warn them about the issue. A day later an email was issued stating that there was no cockroaches in the cafeteria. However, after being away for the week, I had a meeting with the Director of the health inspection program. He stated that they fumigated the area and possibly stirred up a nest and caught about 26 roaches on glue traps. 5 additional people were in the room at the time this was stated, however, no email has been issued to the customers of this agency to inform them that actions have been taken and cockroaches have been found.

I am curious if I could take legal action against the company responsible for the cafeteria, and the director of the inspecting agency for failure to inform their customers that there was/is a roach problem?

Thanks in advance!
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/28/2010
Lawyer: Michael J., Esq., Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Michael J., Esq.
Hello -

Thank you for contacting JustAnswer. My name is Michael; I look forward to helping you with your legal problem today.

Unfortunately, you can not sue the company for this. One requirement for a civil suit is something called standing, meaning basically "right to sue". To have standing or the "right to sue", you basically have to have been injured by the conduct of the party you are suing. Since the roaches have not harmed you in any way, you have no basis for a suit against the company.

Good luck,

If my answer was helpful, please click ACCEPT so I may be compensated for my time. If you are not satisfied with the Answer, please feel free not to Accept, and post a follow up question so I may be able to clarify my Answer. My goal is to provide an outstanding Answer, so give me a chance.

Regards,

Michael

But they are mis-informing their customers, literally lying to them. Cockroaches are known to spead disease such as salmonella, staphylococcus and streptococcus. These are very harmful to people, and very dangerous. The inspection company openly admitted that they saw roaches on roach traps, but they do not want to inform their customers of their findings. This is completely irresponsible, and down right dangerous to peoples health, and there's still no legal course of action to take against them?

No, there isn't. You can not sue for something that you have not been harmed by. Actually, I take that back. You can attempt to sue for this, but your suit will be dismissed for lack of standing and you will waste money in filing fees and hiring an attorney.

Your best bet is to contact your city's board of health and lodge a complaint. I'm sorry if you don't like my answer, but it's the truth.

Take care,

Regards,

Michael