I have a 501c3 tax exempt corp. I am in the process of writing…

Customer Question
I have a 501c3 tax...
I have a 501c3 tax exempt corp. I am in the process of writing a will. I would like to have any funds that are in my non-profit corp. available to my children if the non-profit is still in existance when I die. Can I will those funds to them or should I make them part of the Board of Directors with power to allicate funds if I should die?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/28/2010
Lawyer: LawTalk, Attorney replied 8 years ago
LawTalk, Attorney

Good afternoon,

I'm sorry to hear of your dilemma.

You can not take funds from a chartible organization and convert them to your personal funds or give them to any private shareholder or individual---at least not without penalty.

The distribution of the funds to your children would constitute an excess benefit transaction and would be classified as taxable income and additionally an excise tax of 25% would be immediately payable. Failure to pay the tax when due could result in a 200% tax on the excess benefit transferred.

Additionally, the corporation will survive you and you can not will the funds held by the corporation to your children. You can however make them a part of the Board.

Here is a link to a site which will explain this in greater detail for you:

http://www.irs.gov/charities/charitable/article/0,,id=96099,00.html

I wish you and your family the best in your future.

Please don't forget that I only receive credit for having helped you when you click on the Accept Button located at my Answer.

Best regards,

Doug

Edited by LawTalk on 6/28/2010 at 8:18 PM EST
LawTalk, Attorney
Good afternoon,

I'm sorry to hear of your dilemma.

Please don’t forget that I only receive credit for having helped you when you click on the Accept Button located at my Answer.

Best regards,

Doug

Thanks for your help. I thought this is what you would find out.

Blessings,

Larry Wickes

Same to you. Have a great week ahead.

Doug