I live above a garage and the neighbors insist on using it…

Customer Question
I live above a garage...
I live above a garage and the neighbors insist on using it during all odd hours of the night. I can not get a decent night sleep. Also, my utlities are hooked up to their unit and sometimes they do not pay the bills, so my gas will get turned off.
It took four months to get consistant hot water. I have now been there six months. my agreement was 6 months, then month to month, however, after mutliple compaints to the landlord about the noise and garage door, nothing has been done and i would like to abandone the place this weekend.
What is the Civil code Section for uninhibital noise nuisance. Not to mention the police raiding the neighbors a month ago for potential durg trafficing.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/28/2010
Lawyer: loeblaw, Attorney replied 8 years ago
loeblaw
loeblaw, Attorney
The best approach is to ask the landlord to agree to a consent for you to move out without any additional liability from one party to the other. That way if you get a release you don't have to worry about any future court action. If the landlord does not agree then you can give the landlord notice that you are moving out based upon the principle of constructive eviciton....the conditions make it impossible for you to quietly enjoy the use of the premises. Or you can give the landlord an ultimatum so long as you a prepared to back it up....either they go or you go.

PLEASE HONOR THE HONOR CODE

As your question has been answered, please click ACCEPT so that I can receive credit for the answer and you can receive credit for your question. Clicking ACCEPT does not generate additional charges but only indicates your question was answered. We do not receive a salary; this is the only way we get paid so I respectfully XXXXX XXXXX you please click ACCEPT. Additionally, note that BONUSES and positive feedback are GREATLY appreciated. Should you need additional information or have additional questions please feel free to send me a question personally.

NOTICE: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) We have not established an attorney-client relationship and none shall be established absent a separate agreement; (2) my communications are based upon my analysis and opinions and based upon general legal principles which may differ from the law in your jurisdiction; (3) For specific legal advise you should obtain a legal opinion and representation from an attorney in good standing licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where valid jurisdiction exists for your legal issue; (4) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.
I asked you what the CA civil Code for noise nuisance was. You gave no legal basis to threaten abandoment prior to a 30 day written notice.
I do not have this information available at hand, therefore I am opting out. Perhaps there is a California attorney who can better assist you.

Thank you. I don't want to get in hot water.

I can't imagine you will, especially if the landlord is willing to consent to let you out the lease but I don't have the code at hand.