I didnt receive an answer to my last two questions. They were…

Customer Question
I didn't receive an answer...
I didn't receive an answer to my last two questions. They were how do I proceed with this case and how much will I be charged. Also I don't want the secondary party to be charged with anything. How do I make sure of that, only the person who did the illegal videotaping should be charged.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/28/2010
Lawyer: Sam, Attorney at Law replied 8 years ago
Sam, Attorney at Law

hi

if someone has broken the law by video tapping you then you contact the District Attorney in your county and let them know you need to file a report so they can be prosecuted.

you do not need an attorney - because the prosecutor's office will handle the matter for you as you are a "victim"

But what if I don't have the videotape. Will they still continue with a prosecution.

hi

they will investigate the matter and see if they can come up with the tape or other evidence that can help them. they need to be able to prove the matter beyond a reasonable doubt

Sam, Attorney at Law

I have another follow up question. What would be the jail time for the person who did the illegal videotaping?

hi

it would range from probation to 5 years

Is there a time limit. Do I have to bring this case up within a certain amount of time. The incident happened a year ago, but I haven't had sufficient evidence to build a case.

hi

the statute of limitations is 3 years.

What do I do if the police have the evidence but are lying about it. This could have been solved last year.

hi

how are they lying about the evidence?

is the District Attorney involved?

Edited by Sam on 7/1/2010 at 2:49 AM EST
I know they have it. When asked, they lie and say they don't. It is a tape of a private nature, that's why I think they are keeping it.

hi

thank you for the information.

then you need to go to the District Attorney and let them know what you suspect and ask them to get involved, that you want resolution to this matter. the DA oversees investigations because they need the evidence to prosecute.

Thank you. XXXXX just call the district attorney in my state and ask them for help. This could have been solved last year if the local police was truthful. So I don't have to hire my own attorney. and also I don't want this to be very public, given the nature of this case. Will this be handled without a lot of the publich knowing?

hi

the District Attorney is by county. so call the DA in your county. tell them you want to speak to a prosecutor about this matter.

once charges are filed, it is all public information.

Is it up to me to press charges. Or the prosecutor once evidence is found?

hi

the prosecutor has full discretion to prosecute or not. so when you provide the information and they see what the police have, what you believe they have, then a determination will be made as whether to proceed or not.

they will investigate the police to see what they are not revealing