I was a Supervisor (Certified with Hazwoper 40 and Supervisor…

Customer Question
I was a Supervisor (Certified...
I was a Supervisor (Certified with Hazwoper 40 and Supervisor Hazwoper 8) for beach oil clean-up team with third tier company managing 19 laborers. Third day on job, my boss gives me a list of 14 new laborers that he signed up to work under his company rather than keep using temp labor company. He told me to fire 14 men of my team and gave me a list of 14 new laborers standing by ready to work that night. One minute later, the second tier contractor approaches me and introduces me to "The New Supervisor" of the team and that I have been demoted to lead foreman. I then walked over to 14 men on my team and doing as my boss asked fired 14 temp labor and formulated a new team w/ the 14 names given to me. The new supervisor, upon learning what I did, was mad and said as foreman I had no right to fire/hire team members and she fired me. Then the supervisor's superintendent ask me to surrender my badge to get into gate at BP Port Chico Bayou. I was told I can not come into the port until my gate pass is "reinstated". I've asked several time for the second and third tier contractors to "reinstate" me so I can go to work for some other labor force in that same port and they are not responding????
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/28/2010
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 8 years ago
Absent any written contract to the contrary, I am afraid FL employment is at will and this means you can be terminated for no reason or for any reason that is not based solely on your age/race/sex/disability and the only recourse you have is to seek unemployment. Based upon what occurred here, if the employer tries to allege misconduct sufficient to deny benefits you have ample grounds to overcome that argument since you carried out what you were told by your supervisor, but as far as getting your job back, that would be at the sole discretion of the employer and they do not have to give you your badge back.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer (EVEN IF YOU ARE A SUBSCRIPTION MEMBER). This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

PLEASE NOTE WELL: IF YOU CLICK OPT OUT I CANNOT REPLY TO YOUR FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND YOU MAY NEVER GET ANY REPLY OR IT WILL DELAY MY ABILITY TO REPLY TO YOU. Also, if you use RELIST, I MAY NOT SEE YOUR RESPONSE AND IT WILL DELAY YOUR REPLY.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

YOU CAN ALSO GO TO http://www.justanswer.com/lp/19qy-PaulMJD and request me.

For PaulMJD...

So in the future if this ever happens again I should immediately approach my boss and inform him I have been demoted to Foreman by second tier supervisor and no longer have power to firing /hiring team members.

This sucks Paul...when these two second and third tier subcontractors started this project they hired a few qualified people to manage labor from local temp labor services then within a week interviewed and hired people on their own payroll to replace temp labor and cut out temp service fees for duration of contract. My boss used me. I understand the business side of making more profit per laborers hours but his timing sucked and cost me my job because I pissed off second tier contractor.

Correct, the proper thing to have done was to return to your boss who gave you that order and tell him that the second tier supervisor removed you and ask your boss to take whatever action is required. This is always a problem when there are so many chiefs involved in projects, many times one does not know what the other is doing and some good people can get caught up in this, but unfortunately that is the way of at will employment.