Greetings....and THANK YOU for your expertise!! I have a…

Customer Question
Greetings....and THANK YOU for your...
Greetings....and THANK YOU for your expertise!!

I have a contractor who has been doing renovation work on my home. He worked last fall for me and was to resume work in February this year.

I had been calling him since Feb.1, 2010 to get him to come and finish my job. He scheduled to be here on February 15th. He didn't show up, nor did he call me to tell me anything. From February through May, I contacted him repeatedly to encourage him to return to the job. He gave me a "laundry list" of excuses and even scheduled a couple of return dates that never materialized. I repeatedly requested that he keep me informed, but that seemed to fall on deaf ears. He just didn't show up nor would he call.

After much prompting from me, he finally returned to my job on May 17. He spent 1.5 hours looking at the job and taking measurements; then telling me the job would be done in 5 or 6 days. (I believed that I'd be able to move back into my home by the end of May. I have been displaced from my home since September 28, 2009 due to renovations.)

He returned to my job on May 20 to spend the day hanging drywall (which he did is a less than satisfactory manner). He told me he'd be at my house with the drywall finisher on Sunday, May 23. He didn't show up nor did he call. Nor did he show up on Monday, but he did call to re-schedule for Wednesday, May 26. He did not show up on Wednesday, nor did he call to let me know what was going on. The next time I heard from him was on Saturday, May 29. He called to tell me he was coming to my home that day with the drywall finisher.

His last on the job at my home was for a consultation with the drywall finisher and me on May 29, 2010. When he left that day, he said he'd call in a day or two to let me know what day he'd return the next week with the drywall finisher to complete the work on my home. Nearly four weeks later on June 25, he called and left a message saying that he planned to be on the job on Tuesday, June 29th.

Since he abandoned the job and did not contact me as he’d promised, I have hired a drywall finisher who is completing the job. I responded to the contractor’s message to let him know that I have a finisher who is currently working on the job.

What legal advice can you render in dealing with the original contractor and his irresponsible and neglectful actions in this situation? He has threatened to take me to court over this.

I appreciate your assistance.
Lynne M. Galassi
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/28/2010
Lawyer: Dwayne B., Attorney replied 8 years ago
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
At this point I think you can safely say he is in breach of contract and that if he sues you for anything you will countersue for the additional living expense you have had to incur due to not being able to use your house for the extra months. It is hard for me to imagine that a judge wouldn't be extremely sympathetic to you.

You may even want to hire a local lawyer to write him a letter. That is probably the most likely way to make him drop this.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. Please remember that we can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.