my landlord sold our building and I just heard the new owner…

Customer Question
my landlord sold our building...
my landlord sold our building and I just heard the new owner is going to renovate our apartment completely. We have until October on our lease, but finding a place than may be much more difficult than now. It feels like this is unfair, when we don't want to go anywhere to begin with. Not to mention, this means ANOTHER fee, first and last month's rent, etc. Is there anything we can do or ask of the new or old owner? Or do we have to just wait until the lease is up, move out then, and swallow the expensive fee?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/28/2010
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 8 years ago
The landlord must honor the lease as written up until it expires. You can negotiate with the landlord to buy you out of the lease if they want you out sooner, but if the landlord does not want to do so, I am afraid you remain bound to your lease until it expires.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer (EVEN IF YOU ARE A SUBSCRIPTION MEMBER). This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

PLEASE NOTE WELL: IF YOU CLICK OPT OUT I CANNOT REPLY TO YOUR FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND YOU MAY NEVER GET ANY REPLY OR IT WILL DELAY MY ABILITY TO REPLY TO YOU. Also, if you use RELIST, I MAY NOT SEE YOUR RESPONSE AND IT WILL DELAY YOUR REPLY.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

YOU CAN ALSO GO TO http://www.justanswer.com/lp/19qy-PaulMJD and request me.

Relist: Answer quality.
Any suggestions? Something we could use as a jumping off point to start a discussion about this?