Sent an email to ex-friend essentially setting the record straight…

Sent an email to ex-friend...
Sent an email to ex-friend essentially setting the record straight on the past. I've been threatened with defamation charges. What was said, was true. Did tell a friend who also has experienced this other person negatively also.
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/28/2010
loeblaw
loeblaw, Attorney
If the information was verifiably true there cannot be a cause of action for defamation. Truth is a total defense to a defamation lawsuit.

PLEASE HONOR THE HONOR CODE

As your question has been answered, please click ACCEPT so that I can receive credit for the answer and you can receive credit for your question. Clicking ACCEPT does not generate additional charges but only indicates your question was answered. We do not receive a salary; this is the only way we get paid so I respectfully XXXXX XXXXX you please click ACCEPT. Additionally, note that BONUSES and positive feedback are GREATLY appreciated. Should you need additional information or have additional questions please feel free to send me a question personally.

NOTICE: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) We have not established an attorney-client relationship and none shall be established absent a separate agreement; (2) my communications are based upon my analysis and opinions and based upon general legal principles which may differ from the law in your jurisdiction; (3) For specific legal advise you should obtain a legal opinion and representation from an attorney in good standing licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where valid jurisdiction exists for your legal issue; (4) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.
loeblaw
loeblaw, Attorney
Ely, Counselor at Law

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am one of JustAnswer's attorneys. I must apologize for my colleague's short answer. Let me expand on this:This depends on what you said in the letter. While truth is the ultimate defense, that won't stop them from bringing charges of defamation of character, slander, or intentional infliction of emotional distress (although IIoED usually does not stand by itself and needs another cause of action to support it). What did you say? Did you use specifically foul language? This might qualify as a civil charge, although it is unlikely. They may just be trying to rattle your cage.

There is no need to apologize. I am certain if the questioner had additional questions, he would not be shy to ask, and I would gladly answer. Thanks for your inquiry. If you have any additional questions please feel free to contact me.