Polk County Texas foreclosed on a piece of property (a lot,

no buildings) belonging to Mr...
Polk County Texas foreclosed on a piece of property (a lot, no buildings) belonging to Mr. Jones for non payment of Taxes. They sold it to Mr. Smith. I have been told Mr. Jones has 6 months within which he can reclaim his land by paying the taxes AND also paying Mr. Smith 25% over what he paid for the land and any improvements (like a home) he has made on the land. True so far?
I am Mr. Williams. Mr. Smith wants to sell me the land. If I buy it, and make improvements (another house) can Mr. Jones reclaim the land before 6 months of the original foreclosure, and would he have to *also* pay *me* costs for buying the land+costs of all improvements (mine and those of Mr. Smith)+25%? Or, would I have a home on someone else's land?
6/28/2010
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
The first part is true. Actually, the minute you built a home there you would have built him a home on his land and you could make a claim for reimbursement but have almost no chance of actually collecting it in Texas. In addition, you almost certainly couldn't get a loan for the construction because a title search is going to show that the land isn't clear yet.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. Please remember that we can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.
To be clear, this is all cash, and no mortages are involved.

So, If I understand you correctly, the second purchaser has no (financially) protected rights to build. That is what I thought, but not what the REALTOR (tm) is claiming.
You would be able to sue him and get a judgment against him under the theory of "unjust enrichment" but it is awful hard to collect a judgment in Texas. I don't think there is any way to make him pay any other way since you, the second purchaser, made the improvements knowing he has the right to reclaim.

Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
OK, the other foot: to reclaim *the land" (now from me, too) would he have to also pay for my costs in the land (+25%) ? Or would I be screwed there, too, with his having to pay only the first buyer.

There sure are a lot of REALTOR(tm) who are minimally knowledgeable about real-estate out there!
I've never seen that issue, but my gut feeling is he would only have to pay the first purchaser to reclaim the land. This is one reason title policies are so important. I ran a quick search and didn't see any case law on the topic but if you look for the reasons behind the reclamation statute it wants to put as small a burden on the reclaimer as possible.

FU:
I did buy the land, but will not build on it, got a General Warranty Deed form the seller and seller bought me a Title Policy which excludes the specific reclaim issue. I believe I could reclaim what *I* paid for the land only (from the seller) if the foreclosure gets nullified, within a few months now. Thanks for the feedback and guidance.
Dissappointing, but due dillegence for the risk aversive. I have to deal with a neighbor who believes he owns a big hunk of the land, while plats/maps and survey show otherwise, so it is just as well.
Regards,
Bruce
Thanks for updating me. Good luck to you.