My name is Maria. I made a business loan $12,000 plus to a…

Customer Question
My name isXXXXX made a...
My name isXXXXX made a business loan $12,000 plus to a (husband & wife) they promised to repay the loan in a 6 month period, I have the ltr in writing. agreement dated 10-30-08. To date they have not repaid the loan...As of June 2009, they started paying me $200 a month. I have been trying to get them to repay the full amount .. I went by their shop, they have closed the shop.They agreed to repay in full in July 2010..Now they are attempting to flee the area. What avenue can I take, since I currently do not have any money to pay an attorney? Will an attorney pursue the case to get payment after closing of case? I am trying to take legal actions before they disappear.. they own several houses, etc. or make payment arrangements with me?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/28/2010
Lawyer: Richard, Attorney replied 8 years ago
Richard, Attorney

Good morning Maria. If they will not pay you voluntarily, you will need to sue them. The limit in Florida for small claims court if $5,000 so you will have to file against them in the regular civil district court. Although you can file this case on your own, it would probably be helpful to get the aid of a lawyer. If you can't afford one, you might see if one would take this on a contingency basis or you could go to your local law school...most have clinics run by law students and supervised by law professors....for help. You will be able to include the costs of your legal fees in any judgment you get. Once you get a judgment, you can move to collect that judgment by attaching their assets and/or garnishing any wages they may have.

I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.