A recent dramatic conviction of a pain doctor in Wichita was…

Customer Question
A recent dramatic conviction of...
A recent dramatic conviction of a pain doctor in Wichita was in the news. As a practicing pain doc, this is very concerning. How would I order a copy of the trial transcript to review for myself what actions put this pain doctor at risk? It is hard to get accurate details from the newsmedia. AP report on the case follows
--------------------------------------------
Kan. doc convicted of conspiracy in pill mill case
By ROXANA HEGEMAN (AP) – 3 days ago
WICHITA, Kan. — A federal jury Thursday found a Kansas doctor and his wife guilty of conspiring to profit from illegally prescribing painkillers to dozens of patients who later died, in a case highlighting medical treatment of chronic pain sufferers and prescription drug abuse.
Dr. Stephen Schneider and his wife, Linda, were charged in a 34-count indictment with unlawful dispensing of drugs, health care fraud and money laundering. Jurors convicted them of a moneymaking conspiracy that prosecutors linked to 68 overdose deaths. They were directly charged in 21 of the deaths.
During their eight-week trial, prosecutors told jurors the Schneiders defrauded insurers and patients by carelessly writing prescriptions for potent, addictive painkillers to people with severe pain but also to drug abusers who feigned symptoms.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/28/2010
Lawyer: Brandon M., Counselor at Law replied 8 years ago
Brandon M.
Brandon M., Counselor at Law
Hello there:

The answer would be to contact the federal district courthouse and get the case number XXXXX on the names of the parties; you could then contact the clerk of the court in which the trial was held and ask for contact information for the court reporter assigned to that case for the purpose of ordering a copy of the transcripts. The court will give you that information and you can then order a copy.

I am glad to answer your question, but I think that you may be going about it the wrong way. Whatever happened in that case is probably going to have minimal impact on whatever vulnerabilities you may have in your own practice. Furthermore, transcripts can cost several hundred to several thousand dollars, depending on the length the trial. Instead, it would probably make more sense to set an appointment with a criminal defense attorney who attests to having experience in these types of matters to discuss the particulars of your practice and how to avoid criminal liability. You should be able to get all of your questions answered in an hour (as opposed to reading through days worth of transcripts), you can have confidence in your answer, and you can have someone else to point the finger at if their advice is bad.

Let me know if I may be of further assistance. Thank you.