My husband is retired and on ssi income only but he has lots…

My husband is retired and...
My husband is retired and on ssi income only but he has lots of unsecured debt which I am not part of, or used, or authorized signer. I have no affliation to that debt. We have a reverse mortagage with no equity. No other assets but two cars paid for. I am working and have a separate checking/savings account. If he stops paying the credit cards because they will not settle or reduce their payments can they attach my checking account or savings account or in anyway take my money?
6/28/2010
Teacher Editor
Teacher Editor, Instructor

California is a community property state, meaning that any debt acquired after the marriage, by either spouse, is the responsibility of both spouses. Thus, they can sue you and attach to your wages and bank account or the house. A way to fix this is to file bankruptcy for the both of you on the unsecured debt.

Teacher Editor
Teacher Editor, Instructor
Thank you. I was unaware that I am equally responsible especially when I was not aware of the debts, so filing bankruptcy will be my only option after I am retired since I must maintain good credit for my job. Thanks again.
You're welcome.