I need some help for my brother in GA. He is active duty,

Customer Question
I need some help for...
I need some help for my brother in GA. He is active duty, Air Force. He got back from Afghanistan in May. His wife had already filed for divorce from him while he was deployed because she was in another relationship. I will spare the ugly details and all the broken verbal agreements. He has joint custody of their 3 kids, but is not the custodial parent. After my brother refused to take her back, she has gotten really nasty. She is using some parenting class that he has not been able to take yet due to schedule against him and threatens to withold the kids. Now, she is planning on marriing her boy friend, who is also Air Force and set to deploy to Okinawa, Japan. They cannot take the kids unless my brother signs a paper allowing it. She has just recently threatened my brother to not let him see the kids and would not let them come with him to visit us this week if he did not sign the paper. She has him convinced that she will take him back to court and take soul custody of the kids and she will win because he is military and deployable. She wrote up a paper saying that he would sign the paper allowing the kids to go overseas, she made him sign it and notarize it or she was not letting him have the kids to come visit his family. He signed it because our grandmother is very sick and this will probably be her last chance to see the kids, especially if they are taken to Japan. Please help, I feel he was extorted into signing the paper. What legal recourse does he have. She is also spreading nasty rumors about him, and it is affecting him as she is a Youth Pastor and is very savvy. Is he bound by this notarized paper or can she be in trouble for some level of extortion? Please help.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/28/2010
Lawyer: Richard - Bizlaw, Attorney replied 8 years ago
Richard - Bizlaw

He should get a lawyer and take her to court to have the consent annulled on the basis of duress. It is a tough argument but given her history she will not be a particularly sympathetic person in court. You need to act promptly as the longer you delay the harder it will be.

If this answer is responsive to your question, please accept it. That is how we are compensated. I would also be appreciated if you provided feed back on your view of the answer. Finally, if the answer was especially helpful you can provide a bonus. If I can be of further assistance or you have other questions in the future you can ask for me and reach me at this site.

This communication is not intended as legal advice. A local attorney should always be consulted for legal advice. No client/attorney relationship is intended or created by this communication.