This is a question about a possible hippa violation. I work…

Customer Question
This is a question about...
This is a question about a possible hippa violation.
I work in a pharmacy. My managing pharmacist, in a need to make an example of me, printed out a flow chart with a patient's name, rx number, and type of medication shpwing the names of the tech who typed it, the tech who counted (filled) it, and the pharmacist who checked it,
and hung it up on the window side (public) of the filling station while I was on break for everyone in the pharmacy to see. I had made a counting error, you see. It was in full view of all employees, but also in view of any customers who stood close enough to our "fishbowl" windows to see as well.
When I returned from my break I was embarassed, and took down the paper and put it with my personal items in my cubby in the back of the pharmacy. It remained there until a last week, when I informed my manager that I quit and gathered my things in a bag and left work.
When I went to offically resign to my general manager, he wouldn't let me
`instead started an investigation into hostile work environmentin my department. I showed he and another HIPPA trained manager the paper that was hung up using my counting error as an example of reveryone in my department. Regional pharmacy pharmacy supervisor asked them where they got that piece of paper and informed then I violated HIPPA law by removing it from pharmacy. True?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/27/2010
Lawyer: MShore, Attorney replied 8 years ago
MShore
MShore, Attorney
Thank you for the post, yes it is true that you violated HIPAA by removing the piece of paper containing patient information from the pharmacy. This is because there was no patient based need to remove the piece of paper and by removing the paper from the pharmacy you, in a strict reading of the Privacy Act, unlawfully transported/removed patient information.
MShore
MShore, Attorney
Did my manager also violate the privacy act by hanging up the paper in the first place. There was on need for the cashiers who come back with questions to read it.

still waiting for reply to follow up question

Yes, if the information was within public view.