What is the legal wait time after divorce papers have been…

Customer Question
What is the legal wait...
What is the legal wait time after divorce papers have been filed in the state of New Jersey. I was told it was one year from the day of filing, but wanted to make sure.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/27/2010
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 8 years ago
If it is a no fault divorce and uncontested, it is 6 months (used to be 18 months until several years ago). If it is contested then this depends on how many court dates are required.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer (EVEN IF YOU ARE A SUBSCRIPTION MEMBER). This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

PLEASE NOTE WELL: IF YOU CLICK OPT OUT I CANNOT REPLY TO YOUR FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND YOU MAY NEVER GET ANY REPLY OR IT WILL DELAY MY ABILITY TO REPLY TO YOU. Also, if you use RELIST, I MAY NOT SEE YOUR RESPONSE AND IT WILL DELAY YOUR REPLY.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

YOU CAN ALSO GO TO http://www.justanswer.com/lp/19qy-PaulMJD and request me.

OK, I also need to know the wait time if filed in Florida and South Carolina
Florida an uncontested divorce could be completed in 30-45 days, depending on the docket of the court. SC is 90 days from the date of filing.
Not long enough in any of those states, I need one year from July 20, 2010. What can I do?
Why do you need a whole year? And also, most of these states have a time for residency before you can file divorce there. Louisiana has a 1 year period after filing.
My husband is military and our 20th anniversary is July 20, 2011. He is talking divorce and I do not want one. We own two properties, one in FL, and one in NJ where I work. He is stationed on a ship on Charleston, SC. So he could file in any one of those states. He is legally a resident of FL and so am I, but I have lived in our house here in NJ for 8 years. I need to be married to him for 20 years in order to receive his medical, commissary, PX, priviledges and 1/2 his pension for the rest of my life or until I remarry. I have been put through the ringer with the military and I deserve those benefits.
I understand now, well, the only thing that I could suggest is moving to Louisians and then it would be a 1 year wait. LA is one of the longest waiting periods of all states.