How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JB Umphrey Your Own Question
JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 20233
Experience:  Explains legal matters based on 14+ years experience.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
JB Umphrey is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i have a peace order filed against me and criminal harassment

Customer Question

i have a peace order filed against me and criminal harassment charges that are completely unfounded. how can i get charges dropped by presenting the evidence i have before the trial?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 8 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer!

From the collective facts you've described, there's no way to get the charges dropped before trial.

The whole point of having a trial is to (a) force the prosecutor to prove their case beyond a reasonable doubt, and (b) if you choose to do so, you can present your defense.

I understand if this isn't the answer that you were looking for. However, when there's a question/dispute of fact, there's no way to avoid the trial process if what you ultimately seek is a dismissal.

Good luck and best wishes for better days ahead. I hope that you find this information to be helpful in better understanding where you stand and why. I also hope that you find this answer to be ACCEPTable!
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
do i need a lawyer for the hearing that comes 3 days after a peace order has been filed against me
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 8 years ago.
Technically, you do not need one. Would it be a good idea to have one? You bet.