My Father died on 3/7/09. My older brother has disclosed no…

Customer Question
My Father died on 3/7/09...
My Father died on 3/7/09. My older brother has disclosed no financial information and merely doled out personal or cashiers checks to my twin sister and I. He has now left with no forwarding address.
What court documents do I need to file to make him disclose all financial information from the time of my father's death?
Am I able to obtain financial statements from the day of my Dad's death to the present as a co trustee?
Is it possible to demand financial documents to prove his claims?
He was the executer and obviously untrustworthy.
He does not and has not worked for many years, lived at home with my father and disablilty. He made no money and claims my father owed him money. Doesn't he need to prove this to both my sister and I before closing the estate?
Neither my twin has seen or signed any documents of any kind.
Is what he has done legal?
Is liable for anything?
Not having legal knowledge and no money, Where do I seek help and information?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/27/2010
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 8 years ago
You need to go to the probate court as you have planned, since he had to probate the estate in order to dispose of any estate property. Once you get the probate file, all of the financial will be in that file and you can go through them to see if he properly paid you. If he did not pay your properly, then you have to file a suit against him for breach of fiduciary duty and seek to recover the money that you are owed.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer (EVEN IF YOU ARE A SUBSCRIPTION MEMBER). This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

PLEASE NOTE WELL: IF YOU CLICK OPT OUT I CANNOT REPLY TO YOUR FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND YOU MAY NEVER GET ANY REPLY OR IT WILL DELAY MY ABILITY TO REPLY TO YOU. Also, if you use RELIST, I MAY NOT SEE YOUR RESPONSE AND IT WILL DELAY YOUR REPLY.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

YOU CAN ALSO GO TO http://www.justanswer.com/lp/19qy-PaulMJD and request me.

No. You did not answer my question. What am I supposed to do ath the courthouse?

Who am I to see?

What questions do I need to ask?

What forms do I have to follow?

How can I get attorney representation with no money?

Must I have an attorney?

can I file a suit without an attorney?

How will I know if he paid us properly?

How would I file a suit for breach of fiduciary duty?

1) You see the clerk of the probate court.
2) You ask to see the probate file on the estate, which they can look up by name.
3) In the file you would be looking for any will, you would look for the financial disclosure and the list of estate property which he had to submit as part of the probate and that list should have appraised values of that property.
4) You do not need any attorney at this point except perhaps to review the documents to see if the numbers were accurately reported.
5) If it comes to filing suit you would need an attorney because these cases can get complex regarding valuation of property. You can find a local probate attorney at http://www.martindale.com or http://www.findlaw.com