I was the victim of a hit and run accident that took place…

Customer Question
I was the victim of...
I was the victim of a hit and run accident that took place 11/4/09 and i was able to take down the license plate of the car that struck me, i went into the highwy patrol offices and filed my report on 11/6/09. the case was not opened untill 12/4/09 then on 12/24/09 the man who hit me contacted the officer and clamied to only be a witness in the accident he gave a false statment and lied to the officer, on 1/14/10 the officer contacted me again and i told him that this was the man who hit my car and i could identify him in a line up. the officer then called the man and lefthim a voicmail... which is unheard of how could this officer not go and look at this mans vehcial it would have been damaged, the officer then waited 2 more months to make any more efforts. the officer made no effort as to go and see if his car had taken any damage. he waited untill 3/11/2010 untill he left another voicmail to the man who him me that he needed to inspect his car. it has been over 5 months since the date of the accident, any moron would fix his car after 5 months of waiting, on 3/16/10 the officer finally got contact with the man who hit me and the officer asked him to bring his car into the chp san diego office to be evaluted and the man refused... then on 3/18/10 the officer went to his house and saw the car but with no damage. and now that man is sticking to his story which makes no sense of the report. his story has a lot of holes and gaps. but the officer said there was not enough evidence all because he waited 5 months to go look at this mans car. what can i do now?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/27/2010
Lawyer: Brandon M., Counselor at Law replied 8 years ago
Brandon M.
Brandon M., Counselor at Law
Hello there:

I would agree that law enforcement bungled your case. Your remedy at this point is civil because the evidence for a criminal case is basically destroyed. You can sue the other driver for the damages to your vehicle.

As for the officer, I would just suggest going through the proper chain of command to make sure that this does not happen again and that, if appropriate, the officer is disciplined. File a complaint with the department's internal affairs division (or, if the agency is too small to have an IA, through the supervising lieutenant).

I am really sorry that you were victimized in this way. Obviously, if it happened to you, it can happen to all of us. Let me know if there is anything else that I can assist. Thanks.