Can an employee sue a customer, if they employee feels intimidated…

Customer Question
Can an employee sue a...
Can an employee sue a customer, if they employee feels intimidated by said customers actions? What if the employee was not "on the clock" at the time of the incident?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/27/2010
Lawyer: Teacher Editor, Instructor replied 8 years ago
Teacher Editor
Teacher Editor, Instructor

This is a case of people being abnoxious. Legally, this may qualify for slander, which means someone speak something that is not the truth and damages the reputation of another. Nevertheless, this is on the low end of the intensity of slander. In addition, in our legal system, you have to prove damages that came directly from the slander (for example, you own a business that sells vitamins and someone makes a commercial that your vitamins are poisonous, that would be considered slander and your damages would be the sales lost).

Here are the elements of slander:

• A false and defamatory communication about the plaintiff
  • Publication to a third party
  • Fault amounting to either negligence or intent on the defendant's part
  • Harm or damage to the plaintiff.

• You qualify on all except probably the last one, which will be your biggest challenge if you decide to take this to your local trial court.

For clarification;

Now, because this guy has said things in front of myself in others, with regards XXXXX XXXXX saying that I "stole" something from him, can I or should I pursue this as a civil, or criminal case? As I am hoping to press charges against him for simple assault already (for telling me to "go (explitive) myself".) My biggest concern of course, is the embarrasment I went through were I work. He embarrased me by saying I stole something, which I a lie that I can prove. He said this in front of my boss, and my peers who work under and for myself, and customers as well. Does this count as "creating a hostile work environment:? Also, can I sue him for my lost time at work, and the cost of my time driving a long distance? Or is this something I should pursue against my employer? I'm really confused as you can tell, because of the fact that I was supposed to work that day, but at the times of the incidences, I was off the clock. Last question is, if necessary, can I leave my job based on a "hostile work environment" being created by a customer? And can I get in trouble with my employer if I sue the customer, and/or press charges?

I'll try to answer your questions in order.

For a criminal case, this would probably not be enough and would probably be dismissed as it is just not severe enough, otherwise everyone who got sworn at could sue and people can't do that.

For a civil suit, this would be your best chance but you would have to prove damage sthat resulted from what was said and that will be hard unless you can prove that other customers are not giving you any business now.

For your costs, if your employer had you do this, the costs should be on him as you were acting in your employed capacity when you incurred the damage/costs.

In terms of hostile work environment, this has to be persistent and usually caused or not prevented by the employer. Here, this would probably not be severe enough to qualify.

Please press Accept if my answer has helped you.