my sister had power of attorney over my fathers and mothers…

Customer Question
my sister had power of...
my sister had power of attorney over my father's and mother's joint checking and savings accounts. my father passed away in sept of 08, was my sister and her husband legally allowed to borrow money from those accounts after my father passed away ???... Read full answer
my sister had power of attorney over my father's and mother's joint checking and savings accounts. my father passed away in sept of 08, was my sister and her husband legally allowed to borrow money from those accounts after my father passed away ???
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Legal
6/27/2010
Lawyer: Dave Kennett, Lawyer (JD) replied 9 years ago
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer (JD)

Dear JACUSTOMER - She would be legally allowed to borrow money from those accounts at any time. Just because she had a POA does not give her the right to use your parent's money as her own and any loan would have to be approved by your parents. A POA ceases to exist once a person dies so she certainly would not be able to use it after death.

I'm not certain what happened to your father's estate after he died or if the accounts were transferred to your Mom. If that was the case then the POA could have been used for your Mom's account but not to borrow money without her permission. This is fraud.

Dave Kennett

Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer (JD)

they were joint accounts with direct deposit pension and ss benefits so nothing changed when he died. my sister had a durable poa thru the bank. thats it. she did use money for her own personal use and did borrow about $20,000 after his death. my mother says she only lent some of the money.

Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
My mother recently passed away. I have cared for her for the
My mother recently passed away. I have cared for her for the past 3 years. I purchased her home and allowed her to live there without charge. I was medical power of attorney, financial power of attorn… read more
Bill Attorney
Bill Attorney
law
I have a multi-layered question regarding caring for my aging
I have a multi-layered question regarding caring for my aging mother. First of all, prior to my father's death, he paid to have my husband and I build an apartment for them in our carriage house. He a… read more
Andrea, Esq.
Andrea, Esq.
Attorney,
My parents both passed away in Sept within 2 days of each other.
My parents both passed away in Sept within 2 days of each other. My sister was the executer and has kept us in the dark. We divided the house and car thru probate . She had her name on their checking … read more
Attorney,
Stop searching for answers—
I live in California and my mother, now deceased lived in Florida.
I live in California and my mother, now deceased lived in Florida. A few years prior to her death, she had opened a joint savings account in both of our names. My sister (who lives in Florida) was app… read more
Attorney at Law,
My father passed away last January. He had $23,000.00 in his
My father passed away last January. He had $23,000.00 in his checking account at the time. My sister and her husband decided that the money should be used to pay for his funeral and put the rest in a … read more
JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey
Attorney & Counselor,
Last July my sister got my dad to sign Power of Attorney papers
Last July my sister got my dad to sign Power of Attorney papers as he was admitted into a rehab/nursing home for therapy from his hip replacement surgery because she admitted that she could not take c… read more
Owner,
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
My sister has Power of Attorney over my Mothers financial
My sister has Power of Attorney over my Mother's financial affairs, although my Mother's physical residence is with me and I am an owner on her checking and savings account. Does my sister have more a… read more
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett
Lawyer (JD),
My father died in NYC in 1978. He had a will. I dont know
My father died in NYC in 1978. He had a will. I don't know if it was ever probated. My mother was named in his estate as is my sister and me. My father also owned property in SC. He will wasn't probat… read more
Attorney at Law,
I am the oldest of 4 children. My father passed away 2 years
I am the oldest of 4 children. My father passed away 2 years ago. My mother has been mentally failing long before my dad died. After my father passed, 1 sister, her husband and her son took over every… read more
Joseph
Joseph
Attorney,
My Mother-in-law lived and died today in Idaho. She left a
My Mother-in-law lived and died today in Idaho. She left a will. I am the heir and personal representative. My husband was her only child. He passed away 8 years ago. Her husband is dead. I also had a… read more
Brandon M.
Brandon M.
Attorney at Law,
Mom has her own 3 room apartment in sisters home. Mom is
Mom has her own 3 room apartment in sister's home. Mom is 81 years old and still working part-time. My sister has taken over mom's checks and has been using mom's money which includes social security … read more
cfortunato
cfortunato
Hello, I am comtemplating on leaving my husband. We are
Hello, I am comtemplating on leaving my husband. We are joint with all properties, bank account, ex. If I am the one who leaves, do I risk loosing anything? Also, we are do to receive an inheratince a… read more
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett
Lawyer (JD),
Stop searching for answers—
My mother has passed away and left no will , my father passed
My mother has passed away and left no will , my father passed away and left no will 1992. My youngest sister has taken all mother's and dads money and property and refused to show us any accounting of… read more
Andrea, Esq.
Andrea, Esq.
Attorney,
My husband and myself are POD on money market savings and checking.
My husband and myself are POD on money market savings and checking. Does the bank have to be notified, other co trustee sez we don't need to change anything.… read more
Isaac, Esq.
Isaac, Esq.
Attorney at Law,
I am a 20 year old female. I attend college. My father passed
I am a 20 year old female. I attend college. My father passed away last year and was recieving a Social Security check. Since he passed away, this monthly check is granted to my sister whom is 15 year… read more
Litigation Attorney,
my mother passed this last January, prior to her death she ...
my mother passed this last January, prior to her death she maintained a couple of CD''s in the bank plus a savings account. the cd''s and savings accounts were joint accounts with me, her only child. … read more
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett
Lawyer (JD),
My husbands mother recently passed away. the two of them ...
My husbands mother recently passed away. the two of them have a joint CD account that machures on 3/20/08. The account is in Texas and we live in PA. My husbands relatives, including the executer of t… read more
LEV
LEV
Retired,
Bachelor's Degree Equivalent
My mother and father were married 60 years. Mother ...
My mother and father were married 60 years. Mother developed a gambling habit and forged his checks, total $50,000. My father is a veteran and has psychiatric problems. To save his estate my sister an… read more
legaleagle
legaleagle
Attorney,