im married 2 years and ahalf have 2 kids and want to divorce…

Customer Question
i'm married 2 years and...
i'm married 2 years and ahalf have 2 kids and want to divorce but all the property and bank account on my spouse name,if i divorce can i get half of all the asset?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/26/2010
Lawyer: Richard, Attorney replied 8 years ago
Richard, Attorney

Good afternoon. It doesn't make any difference whose name the assets are in...it's a question of when and how those assets were acquired. Assets obtained prior to marriage or by gift/inheritance during marriage are separate property and not marital assets. All other assets obtained during marriage...other than those obtained specifically with sole and separate property (as defined above)...no matter whose name they are titled, are marital assets and will be divided at divorce.

I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.