Hi, I am another Ross Student with a bone to pick. Heres my…

Customer Question
Hi, I am another Ross...
Hi, I am another Ross Student with a bone to pick. Here's my horror story: an admin person
on the Island was caught stealing my student loans. Biggest nightmare. In and out of Financial aid entire semester until guy was caught at end of semester. Couldn't pay bills, rent, skipped meals, and had to forego buying class texts. The interference, and fustration wrecked the semester. I was deliberately strung along whole semester.I lost points on exams stressed out over my finances. I had to redo/repay the semester as grades were damaged. Guy was fired and I was reimbursed, and received an apology from the dean (Two day later she was no longer employed by Ross). Had a private meeting with the
dean who acknowledged the theft ( The bursar was altering financial aid info on the computer : I was told this). Since my credit was destroyed I was unable to obtain private loans, without a cosignor. I somehow make it to 5th semester Miami thinking I won't have to deal with anymore loan problems, but I was so wrong. Some one in administration in NJ
was angry their Island colleague was fired for stealing my loans, so they decided to retaliate by not certifying my private loans while in Miami. It went on the entire 5th semester, and they were even brazen enough to tell me everyone else got their loans certified except me. I was forced to leave Miami as I had no money to live off. They then fired this person after this was investigated. Same thing as
the Island all over again, but this time they put a dismissal on my transcript even after they knew what happened. Private loan was finally certified three months after semester ended. I couldn't keep up with the class being deprived of private loans I was barely able to make AICM rotations without transportation. A living nightmare. I had to borrow money from a fellow student to buy a bus ticket home. There was absolutely no money left ( over three semesters loans were either stolen or not signed until long after semester ended).I proved this with documentation so they readmitted ( with a dismissal still on my record no fault of mine : I am told it's the policy) and stated in the readmission letter that I will be cleared to sit for step one and have 6 months to prepare and will get one final chance (I never sat for step 1 in the first place. They usually give three tries at the step)They then send out another letter two months later telling me I am to sit for the Comp instead and instead of giving me four months I get about ten days to prepare ( I told them I felt like they were trying to set me up to fail). I pass the Comp, and am cleared to sit for step one. You have three tries in one year. First two tries were very close but I missed. My one year expired ,and I reapplied to sit for third try. Here's what weird : They sent me a denial of a 3rd try and said I was administratively withdrawn and I would no longer be a student at Ross. The weird of it : The letter was dated 11 months before the mailing date on the outside of the envelope. I still had 7 months left before my one year to sit for step 1 expired, so I could not have been withdrawn at the time. I was certified to sit for my second try on a date three months later than the letter that said I was Administratively withdrawn. It's like they created a document saying I was administratively withdrawn that was retroactively dated (but didn't exist until I reapplied for my third try at step one). I saved these conflicting documents. None of it makes sense.This is all documented. Far as I am concerned my medical career was ruined intentionally ( stealing is deliberate). They messed with my loans for three semesters, continuously mixing up documents costing me months of down time, and ultimately damaged my grades. I was told I was not allowed to sit a 3rd time for step 1 because I had too many strikes against me. They created the strikes in the first place, and then used that to get rid of me. The documents speak for themselves. For the rest of my days I will believe I was set up. I never got such poor grades before, eventhough I passed. Far too much more to say here. Do I have any recourse. I feel like I was robbed or mugged. With the huge number of complaints by students, don't know why students don't get together and file a class action lawsuit. If there were a way to be in contact with other students to exchange information maybe that could happen? $200,000 in debt with nothing to show but grades not even worth the paper they are written on. Do I have any recourse?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/26/2010
Lawyer: Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney replied 8 years ago
Thank you for your question.

As much as I would love to give you an answer that you are hoping for, I think I have to agree with the US Dept of Education--if the money was returned, they are no longer responsible to you directly. As for not passing, that is solely at the discretion of the college, and there you have no recourse directly--if for example you passed but were still withdrawn, you have the ability to fight for wrongful expulsion, but simply fighting them on an exam would be impossible.

I am very sorry.

Edited by Dimitry Alexander Kaplun on 6/26/2010 at 10:37 PM EST