Harrassment/Privacy Issues--The handyman in my Manhattan apt.

Customer Question
building unlocked the door to...
Harrassment/Privacy Issues--The handyman in my Manhattan apt. building unlocked the door to my terrace without my permission last Saturday at 8am and let construction workers enter my private terrace. I woke up to see these men in front of my bedroom door and immediately called the doorman to find out what in the world was happening. The doorman said the handyman claimed these workers were welding elsewhere in the building. When I got my clothes on, I went downstairs to discuss this disturbing situation with the doorman; then the handyman entered our conversation and started screaming at me! This fuming handyman changed his story from these construction men acutally working in the building to just needing to get tools from my terrace! Since it was not an emergency, I told him he needed my permission to enter my terrace and so he blamed me for not answering the intercom! He also blamed the doorman saying the doorman had told him it was OK to enter my terrace! When both the doorman & I said that conversation didn't happen the handyman then blamed the doorman of the previous Friday, as well as the super etc. He talso hreatened me by saying no emergency repair would ever take place on my terrace! He also said I had tried to get him fired previously by my complaint to management that he was giving the terrace keys to the elevator men when they came to fix the elevators and that this practice should stop. I emailed bldg mgt about the above events and they responded that the super would instruct the handyman on how to talk to tenants! I fell this was an extremely weak response to this handyman's verbal abuse as well as my privacy being violated and my security breached. A member of the Board later suggested I get curtains and added that in a co-op there is no private property beyond ones clothes and furniture! I am being harrassed but what can I do? Are there legal steps I can take to keep them barging onto my terrace and to protect myself from further security breaches? What normally happens to employees who engage in such abusive actions?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/26/2010
Lawyer: INFOLAWYER, Attorney replied 8 years ago
INFOLAWYER, Attorney
Hello and thank you for your question. The conduct is not acceptable. You would complain to management and the board who should terminate or suspend for this violation.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
As I wrote in my question, I already did what the "expert" suggested, i.e. I wrote to my Board of my co-op and to managing agent and got very weak responses. I need to know what the next step is and how to keep this building from thinking it can entering my terrace for non emergency reasons.
Other steps include
1. having a lawyer contact the board and management
2. sue the board, management for breach of duty and the employee for harassment seeking damages and injunctive relief
3. seeking to marshal support to change the makeup of the board by election and hiring of new management company and appropriate personnel.