I AM ON S.S. BUT I WORK AS AN INDEPENDENT CONTRACTOR [COURIER]

Customer Question
AND I FILE A 1099. FOR...
I AM ON S.S. BUT I WORK AS AN INDEPENDENT CONTRACTOR [COURIER] AND I FILE A
1099. FOR YEARS 08,09 MY EXPENCESES WERE GREATER THAN MY EARNINGS AND I DID
NOT HAVE TO PAY TAXIS. EACH YEAR I HAD TO GIVE S.S. AN ESTIMENT OF WHAT I MAY
EARN AND THEY BEGIN TO HOLD BACK MY S.S. BASED ON THOSE ESTIMATES. DON'T
THEY HAVE TO PAY THAT MONEY HELD BECAUSE I SHOWED A LOSS ON MY EARNINGS?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/26/2010
Lawyer: Roger, Attorney replied 8 years ago
Roger, Attorney

Even if you showed a loss on your taxes, that doesn't change the amount of income you actually earned.

SS calculates payments of the total earnings you have, not on your net profits or losses. Thus, SS is correct that you aren't owed any money back.