My mother died on 11-9-2006. Before she died my brother got…

Customer Question
My mother died on 11-9-2006...
My mother died on 11-9-2006. Before she died my brother got POA and filled out the paper qwork to transfer the house from my mother to us. I just looked at the deed and it states that it wasn't recorded until 2-15-2008. Is this legal? When my mother died my brother was no longer the POA and my sister is the executor of the will. Since this wasn't recoreded beforte my mom died, I believe that the document isn't legal, at least I'm hoping it isn't because we need to sell the house.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/26/2010
Lawyer: P. Simmons, Attorney replied 8 years ago
P. Simmons, Attorney
Chat Conversation Started
psimmons :

Hello, can you tell me what the deed says? In whose name is ***** ***** currently?

Customer :

The deed says it's in the siblings name. My question is is legal to do the transfer after she died?

psimmons :

NO, that would not be legal...the POA will die with the grantor of the POA. But are you sure the transfer was not prior to death? The day of recording can be (and often is) after the day of transfer

Customer :

The Recored date says 2/15/2008.

psimmons :

Understand...but what does the deed say? What was the day the deed was signed?

Customer :

It says on "Date of Sale" 11-9-06

psimmons :

The day mom died? What does brother say about this? When does he claim the transfer was done?

Customer :

We don't talk. Can I e-mail you the deed so you can look at it?

Chat Conversation Ended

If you are still working with your Expert on this question, you can post additional replies and receive additional information on this page.  If you received a satisfactory answer in Chat, you can accept the chat conversation above.
you can email to "*****@******.***" and have them send to me

Since we're having problems getting 1 of the 4 bowners to agree on the sale conditions of our home that is equally owned, how hard is it to get a court order to have all proceeds go into an escrow account until it can be resolved?