how do I file a judgement against a vet receiving disability…

Customer Question
how do I file a...
how do I file a judgement against a vet receiving disability payments who has moved with no forwarding address
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/26/2010
Lawyer: Alexia Esq., Managing Attorney replied 8 years ago
Alexia Esq.
Alexia Esq., Managing Attorney
Do you mean, how to I file a court complaint against this vet?
no, I already have the judgement , I need to file to collect the amount from his assets

Ah, this is always the biggest hurdle. Your question isn't really how to 'file' a judgment, but how to find this guy and his assets, if any.

You can hire a private investigator, or a skip trace company to try to locate him, if your own searching turns up nothing. Asset recovery companies are also good a locating people, as they try to find the assets of those people so they can lien them. However, if you are not really sure he HAS assets, I wouldn't urge you to pay out of pocket for this. This guy may be 'judgment proof' so you wouldn't want to throw good money after bad.

If you don't have the energy to do so or the value of the judgment is not worth it, you could try to sell it or assign it to a collection agency - you obvioulsy will get far from full value, but it will get you something and you can wash your hands of it. THey will then use their ways to find the judgment creditor, even if it takes them 10 years.

In the meantime, you can feel "good" about that fact that your judgment will be on this fellows credit report, for a very long time to come - until it is paid off, in fact. It will damage his ability to get a reasonably priced loan, reasonable interest rates, even his ability to get a job.

Hope this helps to clarify. If it does, please click ACCEPT and follow up if needed after you do so. If you need more detail, please click Reply, not ReList and I will gladly respond. Also, if you exceeded the one question one answer standard, and the expert provided you with answers to your additional questions, BONUS is an appreciated way of saying thank you! This expert's credit proceeds go towards providing volunteer provisions for the disabled. Thank you for helping!

I believe I have answered your question and I hope you a better understanding of your legal issue as a result. As you know, I am only the messenger, not your attorney, nor can I create favorable law if it doesn't exist, so please don't hold it against me if the legal result is not what you wish. ACCEPTING the Answer a so ensures I will be able to assist your with your future legal question. In addition, Positive "FEEDBACK" and BONUSES are also appreciated. If you would like my assistance in the future, just put my name, STEPHANIE JOY, in your title or first sentence of a new post. Please keep in mind that I can only respond to your post and the information contained in it, as I do not know what you know unless you describe it fully. Also, due to site tech reasons, oftentimes I am initially only able to see the first part of your post, so I apologize in advance if it means more interactions between us. At times, there can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break, or if it is late at night, I may have to go get some shut eye til morning, but rest assured, I'll be back for you. Thanks

Sincerely,

S. Joy, Legal Expert

My Standard and Required Legal Disclaimer. The information given by me here is not legal advice. You should not and may not rely on anything on this website as legal advice and you agree that the nominal price you may voluntarily pay for information here clearly does not pay for any legal advice. I am neither establishing nor accepting an attorney-client relationship with you. You must hire an attorney in your state as a matter of law, in order to receive legal advice and attorney/client relationship and rights. I do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided or whose law would apply, if any. My licensing credentials are noted in my profile, which you have full access to. As law is always changing, you are recommended to consult with the appropriate legal counsel in your jurisdiction for accurate and complete information. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX a great day.

I have filed with the M.V.A.against his registered vehicles, but his cash assets are from the Veterns disabilities check issued each month. I have already "located his assets" a skip tracer or collection action would duplicate this information. I am sure he has changed his address to continue receiving his check

Sounds like you need to FIND this person, is that your issue?

If all due diligence attempts to find the defendant to serve him with notice of garnishment, etc. have failed, consider asking the court for permission to serve him by publication, along the lines of Rule 2-122, potentially.

Rule 2-122. Process-Service-In rem or quasi in rem

Service by Posting or Publication.

In an in rem or quasi in rem action when the plaintiff has shown by affidavit that the whereabouts of the defendant are unknown and that reasonable efforts have been made in good faith to locate the defendant, the court may order service by the mailing of a notice to the defendant's last known address and:

1. by the posting of the notice by the sheriff at the courthouse door or on a bulletin board within its immediate vicinity, or
  2. by publishing the notice at least once a week in each of three successive weeks in one or more newspapers of general circulation published in the county in which the action is pending, or
  3. in an action in which the rights relating to land including leasehold interests are involved, by the posting of the notice by the sheriff in a conspicuous place on the land. Additionally, the court may order any other means of notice that it deems appropriate in the circumstances.

Let's say you know where his bank is:

To garnish a bank account, file a Request for Garnishment of Property Other than Wages (DC/CV 60). You must provide the name and address of the debtor's financial institution. (I'd use the investigating professional for this if you don't have that info and if not, try to get him served by publication, which is a 'contructive' service.) The garnishee is served and must reply within 30 days with a Confession of Assets, a list of assets belonging to the debtor held by the bank. You will receive a copy. After 30 days have passed since the original request, you file a Request of Judgment-Garnishment (DC/CV 62) with the court and send copies to both the debtor and garnishee. If the judge decides in your favor, the garnishee will be ordered to pay the funds from the debtor's account.