Previus employer bought a Harley Davidson, gave the keys to…

Customer Question
Previus employer bought a Harley...
Previus employer bought a Harley Davidson, gave the keys to me and said "I bought this for you - just let me use it once in awile". I took care of the title and registration but put it in my name OR his. 2 years later I was layed off. I went and changed the title to my name only and went and took the bike from him. He is now taking me to court. What are my rights?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/26/2010
Lawyer: Legalease, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Legalease
Legalease, Lawyer

Hello. You will have to counterclaim on this matter and show that this bike was actually an outright gift to you as part of your overall compensation package at the business. He will claim that it is a company vehicle and it is simply in your possession for you to go to and from work and now that your employment is over you are not entitled to keep the bike -- and he does have a good argument if the bike remained in his name since the purchase date. You will need to establish your side of the story in court -- if you have any witnesses or paperwork that you can bring in to prove to the court that the bike was a gift -- persons who were witness to the original arrangement and persons who were witness to your ongoing "ownership" of the vehicle and who can testify to statements made by him which indicated that the bike actually belonged to you and it was not simply an employer provided vehicle situation in which the employer would expect the bike back when you left his employ.

I am sorry that I cannot tell you that the bike belongs to you and point you to a statute that states that clearly. These types of cases will turn on the facts presented to the court/judge and the judge will base his ruling on who he finds to be the most credible and how much proof each side has to support their argument.

GOOD LUCK

Please press the GREEN ACCEPT BUTTON so I will be paid for my time.

THANK YOU