I file my documents in my federal court case via U.S. Postal…

I file my documents in...
I file my documents in my federal court case via U.S. Postal Service. The case management conference took place on June 17th (2010). Rule 26(f) sets forth the case management report must be filed 14 days from the date the parties conferenced which in my case would be July 1, 2010. However, opposing counsel has been very uncooperative with communication as to the joint report. I emailed plaintiff's copy of the joint report to opposing counsel on June 21st. As of this day, opposing counsel has yet to provide me defendant's draft for my review. I must sign the report, I cannot sign electroncially and I declined authorizing opposing counsel signing electronically on my behalf. I also want to assure there have been no changes I have not reviewed. Obviously I do not trust opposing counsel (for good reason). My question is, given the fact it takes between 3 to 4 days for mail to arrive in Arizona from my State, should I go ahead and mail the report with a notice notifying the court of my reasons. Also, should I attach the email correspondence between myself and opposing counsel as proof I timely emailed the report to opposing counsel but I am still waiting for the defendant's draft? Opposing counsel emailed me today stating an emergency arose causing delay in preparing defendant's draft? I know there will be further delays, there always is.
6/26/2010
Maverick
Maverick, Attorney

Very good, you have the makings of a litigator. Make sure you always document and confirm every conversation with opposing counsel each step of the way. That is the only way to keep him straight. For example, if you have a telephone conversation at 10:00 am today, immediately at the end of the conversation, send him a letter confirming the date, time, and substance of the conversation and ask him to notify you back immediately in writing if your understanding of what transpired in the conversation is in any way incorrect.

It looks like you have been diligent in keeping the emails so, what you need to do is send your version to the court and a letter detailing your attempts to work with opposing counsel on the issue and your supporting emails and his responses. Explain that you have attempted to timely complete what was required under rule 26 but that opposing counsel has had delays for whatever reasons and thus you are filing what you have. This will show that you have in good faith attempted to comply. Send opposing counsel a copy of whatever you send to the court. Then just sit back and wait for a response.

Please click "Accept" so that I can get credit for this answer. We can continue our conversation after that at no additional charge. Thank you.

This information is provided so you may better discuss legal issues with your attorney. Consult a local attorney for legal advice before acting. You may be able to find an attorney in your area to further assist you at http://www.martindale.com/ or at http://www.lawyers.com/ .

Maverick
Maverick, Attorney
When you state "send your version" do you mean only my emails to opposing counsel? or send my version within the Notice but also attach all email communication?

You would send your version of what efforts you have made to comply with the requirements of the rule and attach copies of all the relevant emails as supporting proof.