If i want to sue someone that owes me money but they live in…

Customer Question
If i want to sue...
If i want to sue someone that owes me money but they live in hawaii and i live in north carolina what state should i sue in.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/26/2010
Lawyer: lwpat, Attorney replied 8 years ago
lwpat
lwpat, Attorney
You will need to sue them in Hawaii. While it is possible that NC may have jurisdiction, if you win and get a judgment, you will then have to domesticate it in Hawaii. It is better to simply start off there. However, unless the person has real estate or other assets that can be attached, you may be wasting your time. The court does not collect for you.If it is small claims you can file by mail and probably appear by telephone. If it is over the small claims limit you will need an attorney. Here is the referral site.

http://www.martindale.com

Edited by Wayne Patterson on 6/26/2010 at 1:14 PM EST
we both lived in washington when the money was borrowed and this money has nothing to do with the propery we own in washington thats another mtter that i am tring to fix.