At the beginning of this month I gave a landlord a check and…

Customer Question
At the beginning of this...
At the beginning of this month I gave a landlord a check and signed a 3 month rental agreement to rent a property in New Jersey. I then discovered that my checkbook had been stolen, put a freeze on my checking account, and attempted to give the landlord a bank check for the same original amount as the initial personal check. He then refused to take the bank check and began to issue verbal threats against me for no reason whatsoever. He also then placed all of my property on the fromt curb - at which time I took my assets and knew I could not have any further interaction with this nutjob owner. ......Then, several weeks later I get a call from the detective at the local police station stating that he wanted me to return his call regarding the check and rental agreement I had originally entered into with the landlord......My questions are the followng:
1) I definitely do NOT want to give my current address info to either that former nutjob property owner OR the detective. Am I legally required to give my current address to the detective or the prior nutjob property owner now that he's gotten a detective involved for absolutely no reason ( I think this nutjob might be in cahoots with the detective)....but LEGALLY, am I required to give these nutjobs my current address ( I definitely do NOT want either of them knowing my current residence)
2) Why is a detective involved in this matter AT ALL - isn't this a civil issue between me and the owner, rather than a criminal matter? Can this be categorized as check fraud when I offered to give the owner a bank check and he refused it while becoming verbally abusive?....
I need a response NOW (TODAY)....

@
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/26/2010
Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 8 years ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. I encourage you to ask me for clarification, if you are not clear with my Answer.

At the beginning of this month I gave a landlord a check and signed a 3 month rental agreement to rent a property in New Jersey. I then discovered that my checkbook had been stolen, put a freeze on my checking account, and attempted to give the landlord a bank check for the same original amount as the initial personal check. He then refused to take the bank check and began to issue verbal threats against me for no reason whatsoever. He also then placed all of my property on the fromt curb - at which time I took my assets and knew I could not have any further interaction with this nutjob owner. ......Then, several weeks later I get a call from the detective at the local police station stating that he wanted me to return his call regarding the check and rental agreement I had originally entered into with the landlord......My questions are the followng: 1) I definitely do NOT want to give my current address info to either that former nutjob property owner OR the detective. Am I legally required to give my current address to the detective or the prior nutjob property owner now that he's gotten a detective involved for absolutely no reason ( I think this nutjob might be in cahoots with the detective)....

Response 1: No.

but LEGALLY, am I required to give these nutjobs my current address ( I definitely do NOT want either of them knowing my current residence)

Response 1b: No, you are not required to give your current address to this Landlord among other things for your personal safety.

2) Why is a detective involved in this matter AT ALL - isn't this a civil issue between me and the owner, rather than a criminal matter?

Response 2: You are right. It is not a criminal matter when you had already informed the Landlord about the check and offered to give him a replacement check and he refused. I do not why a detective should be involved at all.

Can this be categorized as check fraud when I offered to give the owner a bank check and he refused it while becoming verbally abusive?.... I need a response NOW (TODAY).... @

Response 2b: No. See my response to number 2. Also, the Landlord illegally placed your property on the curb. In any event, this is Landlord-tenant matter that should not involve a police detective.