i am a federal employee. i maintain my own office in my own…

i am a federal employee...
i am a federal employee. i maintain my own office in my own home. I maintain the phone line in my home that i use for work. oct last year i had problems with my phone. i contacted my team leader and notified him of my problem. i have him my cell ph# XXXXX he need to contact me while I called my phone company to set up an appointment for repair.
I set that appointment.
I spoke with my team leader again, either same day or a few days later. He told me that our supervisor at our regional office had called my phone company and knew of the day and time of the appointment i had set for repair of my landline. Is that an invasion of my privacy? he also didnt write a report he was suppose to write after he observed me working. his superior did the same to me..long story.
6/26/2010
Brandon M.
Brandon M., Counselor at Law
Hello there:

it could potentially amount to an invasion of privacy. Generally speaking, one commits the tort of invasion of privacy where one intentionally intrudes, physically or otherwise, upon the solitude or seclusion of another or his private affairs or concerns, if the intrusion would be highly offensive to a reasonable person. But my concern from a legal perspective is twofold: (1) it is probably offensive, but I would question whether the supervisor's acts were "highly" offensive, and (2) even if the act was highly offensive, what are the damages here--you could probably win a few bucks, but this is not a situation where you are having photos taken of you coming out of the shower... the time and aggravation spent in legal pursuit would likely outweigh any benefit of said pursuit.

I really do understand how you feel, but part of my job is to be the experienced, neutral observer who can tell you how a court might treat this. My thought is that it would make the most sense to keep working through the internal channels to make sure that it does not happen again and get an apology. If you are not satisfied with those results, hire an attorney for 45 minutes of his/her time to draft a scary letter on firm stationary warning of the consequences if this act is repeated and fire that off to HR; 95% of the time, that will get you whatever you need.

I really am sorry for the situation. Let me know if I may be of further assistance. Thank you.
Brandon M.
Brandon M., Counselor at Law
You had another question?
do you write warning letters? remember im a federal employee...
I do in my individual practice, but my agreement with Just Answer prohibits me from taking on customers as clients in that capacity. I can probably refer you elsewhere, if you so desire?