My son is in the hospital for exaserbated crohns disease (bleeding…

Customer Question
My son is in the...
My son is in the hospital for exaserbated crohns disease (bleeding and pain) and after about a week he had acute onset of severe pain, he had coverage of medication but the pain was like 20 on scale of 1-10, he begged for help and was ignored 3 doctors asssesed him as fine, nurses esp charge nurse ignored him, one doctor acccused him in front of 5 witnesses that he was withdrawing from dilaudid, after 15 hours I requested that they do a ct scan, she neglected to order it stat, after the scan it showed bowel perforation, a surgeon was called at 6:30 am by 7:30 am my son was in surgery, he came out with an illeostomy, on a vent, icu, and more, the hospital admitted there mistake but are treating him like he is a threat, they offered him 24,000 for his pain and suffering to settle, they gave me and my husband 1,000 dollars to help with our expenses of driving back and forth. what should we do
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/26/2010
Lawyer: legaleagle, Lawyer (JD) replied 8 years ago
legaleagle
legaleagle, Lawyer (JD)
You need to retain a medical malpractice attorney to handle the case for you to get the settlement that is in line with the actual damages and suffering that your son and your family incurred.
Yes before I accept can you please elaborate on your answer, I mean why do you feel there are damages how did the mess up, i know that obtaining an attorney is an option but why do you feel we should pursue this
By postponing surgery because they did not take action or believe him when he told them of the pain you may be able to show that he is as bad off after surgery due to the delay. Also for the time he sat there in pain you really can not put a number on how to compensate someone for that type of suffering.
Yes and I agree and we watched it was torture. but the only thing is it takes a long time for court cases to see if there is a way to negotiate a settlement with risk management
Those are the cons you have to weigh to decide if you want to settle now or try to negotiate for more or sue.