To whom it may concern I am paralyzed from the neck down…

Customer Question
To whom it may concern: I...
To whom it may concern:
I am paralyzed from the neck down and I am on Medi-Cal. If I get married to my girlfriend then the federal government would recognize us as a legal marriage. Therefore her assets and income will be included and I would then be in a higher income bracket and lose my Medi-Cal, which is my only medical insurance. Also as a heterosexual couple we cannot file for domestic partnership, because that is set aside only for homosexuals who want a partnership.
In the same way a homosexual couple can enter in a same-sex marriage where one of them is disabled and on Medi-Cal and the federal government does not recognize them as a married couple, and therefore the disabled homosexual can keep his/her benefits.

Same-sex marriage and Medi-Cal with the disability (web site.) Page 1 & page 2 has the domestic partnership and same-sex marriage info.
http://www.dhcs.ca.gov/services/medi-cal/eligibility/Documents/c09-04.pdf

Heterosexual marriage and Medi-Cal with a disability. Page 6, 3rd paragraph.
http://www.gao.gov/archive/1997/og97016.pdf

Can you help?
Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX
XXX-XXX-XXXX XXXXX
Thousand Oaks, CA 91360 [email protected]
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/25/2010
Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Ray, Lawyer
Thanks for your question.All you can do here is marry her without license.Its religious but not legal.To marry here will disqualify you from medicaid.I'm sorry but you have to decide here--if you marry they will count her assets here.Sorry but this will not change here until Congress amends law.