I got a cc through a local credit union in Birmingham. A couple…

Customer Question
I got a cc through...
I got a cc through a local credit union in Birmingham. A couple years after I opened the account, I got behind in payments due to losing my job and eventually had to default. I started receiving collections calls from an attorneys office that continuously hounded me for the money even though I told them I was unemployed. Shortly after that I moved to Florida for work and I was told that I needed to come up with an answer. So I told them that I could pay them 10$ a month for the time being. The office then told me that the amount wouldn't even cover the interest. I asked them if the account was closed and they stated yes to which I replied then there should be no interest accruing.

I then reaffirmed that I could only pay 10$ a month at the time and they said ok and hung up. A few months later I got a notice from the Jefferson County Court House stating that I was being sued for the amount due on the account and to please respond, which I did on their form, and stated that I no longer lived in Alabama. I then got a letter stating that it didn't matter that I no longer lived there, I would have to appear in court. I then called and was told the same thing. I told them I couldn't make that court date due to work and they said "oh well". So the Attorney's got a default judgement against me. Then in March I was shocked to find that my partners tax return had been taken out of our joint savings account and our joint checking account had been wiped out with no notice of garnishment. When I called my bank, they told me that they received a garnishment first from Tennessee then from Alabama for two separate amounts. Then I called the attorney's office to find out what was going on and they stated that they filed for one but had not yet received the money. Now it's going into July, they supposedly still don't have the money even though I sent in a letter telling the courts to release the funds, they told me the bank is still holding the funds and that they're still charging me 12.9% interest on the full balance because they don't have the funds yet even though I worked out 75$ a month payments to pay off the remaining balance.

My question is 4 parts: 1) Was it legal for them to sue me in Alabama when I lived in Florida, 2) was it legal for them to garnish my account even though it wasn't my money and they didn't send me notice first, 3) can they still charge me interest on this account and 4) can I counter sue?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/25/2010
Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Ray, Lawyer
Thanks for your questions.Lets go through them.They levied on your bank account.That different than garnishment which is for wages here--they might do that next.The levied money here likely isn't coming back botXXXXX XXXXXne.

1) Was it legal for them to sue me in Alabama when I lived in Florida,
Since you didn't challenge yes they can get a judgment

2) was it legal for them to garnish my account even though it wasn't my money and they didn't send me notice first,
Yes a levy here is different.No prenotice here unlike wage garnishment that requires prenotice.

3) can they still charge me interest on this account and 4) can I counter sue?

Interest accrues here on unpaid judgment by law until paid.You are confusing an account here--they closed that and the judgment which continues to draw interest.The way out here at this point is to file solo bankruptcy .Otherwise they are going to keep after you here with more collecting.
But I did challenge it. I no longer lived in Alabama and according to a friend who is a paralegal, they should have come to Florida to proceed against me instead of alabama. And my last question is can I do anything to fight this?
Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
It's too late to challenge it.You would have had to make what they call a special appearance.It is a specific pretrial means to challenge jurisdiction.Using a paralegal for this or writing a letter was not the way to go as there are specific requirements and if you don't follow them you are deemed to have waived them.Thats what happened here.The judgment is long since final.

The only real option here is solo bankruptcy.Otherwise any account here in your name or social is vulnerable.I have done collections.They are ruthless and they won't quit here.And he interest keeps building.At least do free consult here with a local bankruptcy lawyer.In your yellow pages there are a number that offer this to get your business.This is way worse than you thought it was and its not going away.They have you zeroed in here and will continue to harass you.