i bought a used car for 12,000 six months ago and have had…

Customer Question
i bought a used car...
i bought a used car for 12,000 six months ago and have had several repairs done on it. now it needs a new transmission! i dont have the money to continue paying for this car and its unforseen repairs. This is a 2002 suv and had entire front end repaired, new radiator, water pump, axles slinging oil and now needs transmission. If i voluntarily give this car back to the car lot (which is a buy here pay here car lot) what will happen. Will they force me to pay for this car anyway even if i dont posess the car and dont have the money to pay for the car? Please help!!!
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/25/2010
Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 8 years ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am one of JustAnswer's attorneys. I'll be helping you resolve your matter today.

Please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

I am sorry about your situation. If you involuntarily or voluntarily have it repossessed, then they will sell it at auction and MAY go after you for the deficiency (difference between final auction price and original contract price). Yes, you are still responsible for it, I am afraid, even if it does not work. They should fix it IF they guaranteed a warranty to you with purchase.

Best of luck in your matter. I'm here if you need any more clarification or follow up information.

I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please click on the ACCEPT button. This is the only way for me to get credit for my work - when you put in your payment information, I receive no credit for my time with you unless you press ACCEPT.

There is no fee for follow up questions should you wish to continue in this thread.

Remember, sometimes the law under which your situation falls does not give you the outcome or the choices you wanted - please understand that this is not the attorney's fault, but the way of circumstance.

There might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If you feel that I went an extra step to help, a bonus would be appreciated!

You can always request me for a future legal consultation through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=7286322&FID=7 If you do this, make sure to begin the question with “This Question is for Eli…”

I also read somewhere that after i voluntarily give it up that if they did not notify me within ten days if they were going to pursue me for the remaining balance then they couldnt come after me. In other words is it true that they have ten days to tell me they will pursue me for the balane and if they dont notify me within those ten days then they cant come after me?

No that's not true, that is not the law, unfortunately.

You know, when i asked this question there was a lady online by the name of Tina that i thought would be answering my questions. Her area of expertise coincided with my question. You seem to only want to give the shortest possible answer. You typed more on how to click the accept button than you did helping me out. I think i would rather talk to someone else about this who actually wouldnt pressure me into just clicking accept! thanks for your help anyway
Okay, I'll forward you to Tina, hang on. You have to SPECIFY an expert if you want to talk to them, otherwise it falls into the general question area. And my signature stamp is generic, and you'll find that almost EVERY expert has a similar one. Best of luck.
so is this just pretty much cut and dry. would it be pointless to hire a lawyer if necessary and try to fight it if they came after me for the diffrence
I have opted out. You can wait for another expert to respond. No need to respond to this message. Additionally, you do not have to stay online – your question will remain active and an email will be sent to you as soon an expert answers it. My apologies for the inconvenience. You have not been charged. Good luck.
Lawyer: Tina, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Tina, Lawyer

Hello!

I have reviewed your questions and the expert's answers. I really cannot add much to the answers as he has provided you with correct information. If the vehicle is being held by a mechanic for repairs, they can legally keep it until the bill is paid and your lender can pursue a judgment against you I'm afraid.

Bankruptcy protection may be your best option at this point.

Best regards XXXXX XXXXX

___________________________________________________________________________________

Even if you have a subscription, please press the ACCEPT button so I may be credited and paid for my time by JA and then request follow-up assistance from me if necessary. Positive feedback and a BONUS are always appreciated. Thank you very much.

NOTE: This open forum is for educational purposes only and cannot constitute legal advice based on rules of professional conduct. I understand that you may be disappointed by the answer you received if it is not favorable to your situation. I work diligently to provide you with the correct answer under the law, whether it benefits you or not. Please do not shoot the messenger if it is not the answer you wished to hear. As always, I continue to be dedicated to providing you with professional and courteous service.